Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jun 1997 22:30:11 -0700
From:         Alexander Vitakis <avitakis@pipeline.com>
Subject:      Re: out of sight

At 11:59 AM 6/24/97 -0500, you wrote: >Have you ever wanted to cover the cargo area in the back of your >Westphalia, above the mattress? I get uncomfortable when I park with >something valuable sitting out in the open. I have the rear heater so under >the seat storage is limited. > >My wife Ingrid and I just built an inexpensive, light cover. It's no >protection if the car is broken into but, "Out of sight, out of mind." We >built a square cover frame and legs out of PVC plumbing pipe. Ingrid found >a piece of fabric very close to the seat cover. That covered the top. > >Think of a square trampolene or card table shape, made out of PVC pipe with >a fabric top. A tube compartment is stiched into each side of the cloth. >The PVC pipe is threaded into the edges of the cloth and connected with >corner brackets. The contraption straddles the matress, making a large >hidden storage area. > >If you make one, connect the legs to the outer frame ring with "T" >fixtures. The cross of the "T" becomes part of the square frame ring. The >leg become the vertical part of the "T." The legs will hinge to make a flat >unit for storage. >" >You will need two ten foot lengths of pipe, four corner or "L" brackets, >four "T "joints, four end caps (feet for the legs.) I used 3/4 inch pipe. >If you havent worked with PVC pipe, you will find it easy. It cuts easily >with any kind of saw. It assembles just by pushing parts together. >Everything holds together by friction. >Tom Hubbard > > > why not just close the curtains? alex.