Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Jun 97 16:07:54 EDT
From:         jag@cs.rochester.edu
Subject:      Re: Aftermarket Cruise questions . . .

> Any and all thoughts on this are welcome. It is mounted on the steering > column (2 screws) and the cable then goes into the steering column cover.

In addition to the control lever, there is a control box in adjacent to the engine compartment.

> Above 55 mph it surges, up and down, and then cuts out. Sometimes it just > cuts out! But it will not hold at all?

With some luck this problem is related to the ones below, and could be fixed easily. However a cruise control system is a feedback control system and with the wrong unit surging and (in control theory lingo) instability is quite possible with a properly functioning unit if it is not matched to the vehicle/engine in question.

> When it is working, if you > 1) blow the horn > 2) put on the turn signal > 3) dim or raise the headlights > and probably other things I haven't found yet! It cuts out - as though you > had tapped the brake.

My first guess for this problem is that it is related to voltage fluctuations being interpreted as "off" signals. You can try:

a/ Check voltage and ground connections. If you have a voltmeter check so that voltage is constant during case 1-3 above.

b/ Check all other wiring.

c/ If a and b doesn't help try moving it's positive voltage connection to another fuse. Try both a circuit separate from 1-3, and the same circuit as the brake light.

Do you know from the prev. owner if it ever worked right? The off/ cut out signal could have been wired wrong.

If all else fails find a EE control major and trade some help with his homework for some cruise control debugging. (noticed you're at umass. Nice school!)

Good luck, Martin