Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Jun 1997 14:33:20 -0400
From:         Ken Wyatt <whyknot@compuserve.com>
Subject:      80 - 83? GAS TANK REPAIRS [longish

Stephen White wrote<spw@users.anet-stl.com> My gas tank has a 1/4" by 1/8" hole under where the heater tube runs. It=

seems to be in good shape otherwise. My _plan_ is to fiberglass the outside of the hole for structural rigidit= y and then to slosh the inside of the tank with sealer to keep the gasoline=

from eating through my patch. Is this a feasable plan? If not, What can i expect to pay for a rust-free used tank, or even better, what can i expect to pay a professional welder to fix my little hole? -------------------------------- Hi Vanagoners, In response to the above gas tank query I had a similar problem when I bought my 82 westy. I had major rust in the same spot which is common. = I first went to a radiator shop to see about repair. They could do it but said no guarantee, it could last 30 days or a year. =

I ended up searching the junkyards for a replacement here in Salt Lake City, Ut. I found a few. The cheapest was 60 bucks but were bent and crushed or had holes. The last one I found was from the rip off place he= re called Allsmall. They have lots of Vanagons and buses but charge about 1= /2 of new cost. I ended up paying out the nose/butt ($225) for the Allsmal= l used one. AVOID THAT PLACE EXCEPT LAST RESORT.

It has worked for 3 years. I posted a while back that I have gone throug= h three fuel filters in the past 6 months. Last month I pulled the tank to=

inspect and repair. I did not see any rust inside. Cutting open the use= d filter showed lots of rust. On the Vanagon tank there is a lower section=

of the tank where fuel is sucked from. It is sealed from the rest of the tank except for a very small hole. Water and gunk also settle here. It=

is very inaccessible. Taking it to a repair shop did not help. They could not figure out how to clean and seal the lower section. Also there=

is a plastic hose inside the tank which could be broken or eroded with acid. I am fearful of adding the tank sealer as there are a lot of small=

vent tubes on these tanks which could get plugged. ANYONE DONE THIS WITH=

SUCCESS??

I am still at odds on how to remedy this. ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME. Whil= e the tank is out I decided to check and replace all rubber fuel lines and rubber seals. Been doing that for a month now as I keep having to order seasl and gaskets from VW and wait. =

The vapor expansion tanks in the wheel wells had very bad seals. One ha= d no seal at all as the fuel vapors had eaten the rubber gasket turning it = to silly putty. Dirt griome and water was entering the system this way. =

CHECK THOSE EXPANSION TANK SEALS!!!!! Vapors eat them for dinner. I am currently waiting for these seals which were $7.50 each from VW. (yikes)

Also I could not find the big fuel line (7/16 or 1/2 inch) which connect= s to the filler tube. I spent most of last saturday searching everywhere f= or this line. VW was the only place in town with this hose. When they sa= id is was $10.14 per foot ( not 1.014 but 10.14) all I could do was burst o= ut laughing. SO I BENT OVER AND BOUGHT 2 feet. 20 bucks for 2 feet of fuel=

line, sheesh!!!!! Anyway I will have all new lines and seals so I will b= e set for another 10 - 15 years.

I took the gas tank to a high pressure car wash and shot the little high pressure squirter into the tiny little hole to the lower section of the g= as tank. I just kept squirting and chunks of rust kept coming out. I guess = I will reinstall it and change filters 6 times a year if needed, (not the best option). Also you know when the filter is plugging as you hear that=

whine of the pump as it struggles to pump throught the clogged filter. =

This was mentioned a day or two ago by a listee who thought his pump was going out. CHECK THAT FILTER FIRST, $5 versus $140 - 300.

In the meantime I will look for a another tank.. Hopefully I have remov= ed most of the flakable rust at the car wash. ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET ONE = OF THOSE BIG GLASS FUEL FILTERS WITH REMOVEABLE ELEMENTS or A HIGHER CAPACI= TY FILTER??

One other option the gas tank repair guy suggested was to clamp and weld off the old fuel out line and install a new one above the lower section s= o it wopuld not suck up the rust. I do not like this idea as then water would collect in there and never be removed causing more rust. =

Sorry this has been so long and rambleous but it has consumed my life the=

last month and continues. That about all I know. If anyone made it thi= s far and has suggestion on a better fix, I would love to hear about it.

Have a great day. Ken Wyatt 82 westy kokopelli@sprintmail.com