Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Jun 1997 00:45:17 -0400
From:         Bill Thomas <vanagon@atl.mindspring.com>
Subject:      New Westy owner

Dear Volks;

Just want to introduce myself as a new listee and proud owner of an 83 Westy.

I happened to see her on a local used car lot and followed my usual ritual of checking out any Vanagon based Westfalia. Well gang - she looked rough at first glance and it took three visits before her hidden beauty became apparent. A call to the lot's owner aroused further interest when he said the asking price was $3300.

Now a serious customer I looked her over carefully, drove her (so smooth and quiet!) and took stock of the mechanics - cooling system problems (coolant soaking the floorboard) and tranny problems (1st and 2nd very hard to find). No rust or external leaks, though. I was happy to see the blue owners packet with manual, camper supplement, and Dometic literature all there. Dealer stamps from VW of Santa Monica documented the first 45k of service history.

I then proceeded to haggle, discussing the obvious problems and the potential for the unseen - bad head gaskets, FI gremlins, et al. He said make an offer. I said $2500 and he came back with $2200! He said he did not want to lose a sale since Vanagons are not in demand in Georgia. Well that did it - it was clear it was destined to be mine.

I drove it immediately to the nearest gas station and was greeted by a flood of gas pouring out from under the tank when it was almost full - not good! I returned to the lot and the owner was sincerely concerned and offered to buy a new tank if necessary. I left it with him and he had it towed to a local shop. Turns out it was only a leaking plastic tee fitting from the top hoses. What a guy.

A thorough cleaning revealed an interior in excellent shape except for the drivers seat. The canvas and upper bunk are perfect. Alex, my German mechanic and a former VW factory technician, fixed the shifting problem by adjusting the linkage and bypassed the heater core for now, all for $72. A tuneup, oil change, coolant flush/fill, brake fluid change and 4 Michelin MX tires are to be done by Saturday to ready her for a July 4th weekend shakedown cruise.

A few questions:

The fuel gauge reads 1/2 full with a full tank - why? Where can I get the closest factory match for front seat covers and foam? Is the Behr dealer-installed A/C worth fixing? Summers are hot and humid here in GA.

Thanks , Bill 83 Westy former 76 bus former 69 Westy