Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:26:19 -0500
From:         "Randy Newell" <rnewell@epower.net>
Subject:      Rain problem and Upper control bushing question

Hey all! Hope everyone is having a good day. Well at least tomorrow is Friday :) I have several questions. I still have the runnability problem, but have made the important connection to solving this mystery. Over the weekend, I took her (my still nameless 86GL. anyone have any ideas for a good name? I was going to use "Betty" (after my late Grandmother) but I see that's taken) to one of those "Touch-less" automatic washes (which by the way did a VERY impressive job, she was VERY dirty from all of the traveling and the box shape of the Vanagon seems to be what they molded the sprayers to fit. Even the undercarriage was squeaky clean ) to see the problem return after. Started thinking about it, and ever time this has happened, the van was wet. OK I can deal with this, I think to myself :) this morning on the commute to work the sky just opened up, maybe about .5" in 20-30 min. The van chugs a few times and died. (first time this has happened after it was running for more then 5 minutes. But then there was enough water at one time that I had the "waterfall" effect on the front windshield when stopping. I pull over, get into the back ( I just love being able to get to the engine without getting out and getting soaked :) the wires, cap, and rotor are all dry. there is some water on the driver side around the coil and the control unit (not sure if that's what it, so some of you more experienced people can correct me if I'm wrong) BUT they aren't wet. The only electrical thing that is wet is the wires to the o2 sensor. I wiped every thing down but it eventually recovered because what ever was wet dried out on its own, not because I found the culprit. My question is, can the o2 sensor wires getting wet farther out (where I spliced the generic together) would this cause the problem? I couldn't reach the splices without going to the outside. Also, can I clean all the contacts and spray them WD-40 to make them more water resistant? I have had some good luck doing this to fix similar problems with my domestic cars.

I just got my new upper control arm bushings, looked at the Bentley last night. Was surprised to find a pretty good description of the procedure. My questions are, is there a work around for the spot weld to keep them from turning? I don't have a welder, but I at least have a grinder to get the old ones out. Also do you really need a press to get the new ones in or can you maybe use a suitable piece of wood and a hammer?

While I'm at it, does anyone know where to get one of those tools that you use to adjust the rear brakes down. Trying to get the drums off to change wheel cylinders proved to be a frustrating experience, that can't be done with a screwdriver.

TIA Randy Newell rnewell@epower.net