Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Jun 1997 11:28:09 -0400
From:         kelphoto@bright.net (mark keller)
Subject:      $1800 Purchase 91' Carat-- Conclusion

Hello All,

I don't mean to me syrupy, but I want to explain my gratitude for your help to me. List members have made this project so enjoyable by explaining a myriad of little details, that I would have worried over. The archives and just reading the daily mail have made me "up to speed" in way I could only dream of.

I also want to shore up my explanation on the $price$ of this project. At first blush it appears that I got a 91 Carat Wolfsburg Limited Edition for $1800. I did, you couldn't drive it regularly in its condition-- it needed to be repaired. Why the body work was minimal for the type of accident, the repairs required a first class body shop, including a frame machine, and lots of specialized air tools.

Since I preferred the "holistic" approach to the repair. In other words, rather than straighten all the sheet metal skin, we opted to grind out all of the factory spot welds holding the right front portion of the van together and install a "clip". The procedure is to obtain a donor van and cut away what you don't need and then install the "complete clip assembly". We left my dash, and crash bars, bumper and upper bar, between the grills. We cut the right A pillar below the hand grip. We completely removed the right door attachment beam and all of the supporting beams up to the frame rail. This constituted the main damage area.

In all my dad and I, using up to date equipment, spent together about 80 hours to install the clip at the factory seams No shop would have taken this particular time consuming, but seamless approach. The result is a "repair" that has been grafted into the vans structure, and MIG welded back spot weld for spot weld. No compromises. I'm pleased.

The second reason this particularly van was a blessing is that I love to see how things are made. Believe me, I had this baby apart! (Yes I took photos.) So my curiosity was really satisfied. I can't explain it better, but I had a very good time.

Lastly when I was searching the www.traderonline.com database I decided not to put my $dollar$ amount in. Turns out some ads have creative financing or in this case and others I might add, a very low price, that wouldn't show up on the typical search of say $6500 - $12000, range of this vehicle. I found quite of few examples of good deals, if what you can do and what it needs are similar.

Before I purchased the van, my initial guess was that my $1800 van was going to cost me between $4000 and $6000 actual cash dollars; the installment plan-- pay as I go. So first I considered the repair labor, I paid $1000 to my dad, and $350, to second shop here in OHIO to do a couple things we ran out of time on. So far my paint, and materials have cost me another $400. It didn't have a radio or speakers, Another variable but I spent $1000 there. I still face the A/C recharge or conversion. That's the direct cost-- so far. The getting home from Miami was integrated into my vacation, but I still spent $500 or so additional in traveling and what not.

I mentioned a suspicion that some hidden fault kept this van from being shipped to another country. I found that the "conversion to handicapped" apparently ruined the driver's seat. I say apparently because dear ole dad was able to save it. The conversion folks welded an RV style swivel base and seat post to the seat adjustment rails. Dad spent three hours carefully cutting away the entire affair with out a trace of damage to the seat frame. The other end of this beast was bolted to the wheel house sheet metal. I spent three hours MIG welding up cracks in this non-structural panel. What a mess. The other unknowns,the cruise control had been disabled, the PO told me, the clock wire to the radio harness was cut,the auto sound folks did this most likely removing the PO's system, and the salvage folks couldn't figure out why the A/C AIR would not come on since they got a system pressure reading. I fixed the "broken" items, and located a small puncture in the front a/c evaporator, they gave me a replacement one. The salvage yard guy's people had the rear a/c cover off. He said the system had pressure. When I showed him the punctured condenser he said, Huh, my guys must of taken a pressure reading up stream from the "leak"-- whatever that means. All of the these little incidental plus the dirt and removing the handicapped lift, I donated it to a low income organization, and plugging up all of the holes reduced the demand for the vehicle is my guess.

What I'm trying to say is that while my initial cost is still low, I had to ante up cash to get this thing back to a condition that is sound. No complaints though. The real deal here is that what it needed in repairs, body work, is my dad's forte. This in a strange way was the real sweetener to the deal. He retires in a couple of years,and the van project was probably our last together. The van really suites me, color, options etc. My current outlay sans radio is $4100 more or less. Risk and sweat equity balance out the cost. I figured this van would go for $6000 to $8000 on the market, perhaps more. So this deal was perfect for me. I'm glad I have this story tell. I'll end this purchase saga with a short where I'm at.

The body's ready for paint preparation. The mechanicals need the A/C system converted and charged. The front interior has been cleaned up front, what a pig. E-mail if you what an excellent way to really clean your own upholstery at home. I'll have the rest of it detailed. The paint matches real good, so I'm painting the front cap and the right side back to the air intake seam and below the roof. Reassemble the interior. From there I guess my expenses are relegated to ownership and operation. Thanks again for listening. Looking forward to seeing and meeting as many of you as possible.

Mark Keller 91' Carat "Back from the graveyard!"