Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jun 1997 21:32:27 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      HEAT EXCHANGERS ARRIVE

Well here's my official report, Nick Sinoeitz (sp?) came on over with the exchangers for the '77 tonight. I had already removed the good ones on it and had an old nasty pair and a nasty pair of flapper valves to provide him. Nick is a real good guy, he doesn't know much or care much about the asbestos recall thing but I'd say VW is paying him handsomely in his retirement to go all over the east coast and do this thing, I feel the pictures he takes are for his benefit as much as the companies, good guy, VW since the 50's, in the US since 63, knows his shit needless to say. Nick was quite happy to allow me to do all the work myself, couldn't care less whether he or I ripped the old stuff out. He considers his role as active or advisory or neither depending on what the situation warrants. Well got the new stuff, BSed he went on his way. OK the new stuff is of course Dansk, made in Denmark as one would expect. The exchangers that is, the new bellows tubes are German and slightly changed with red silicone grommets, ala Vanagon. The flapper boxes are the current ones available, who knows the origion probably OEM just like origional except no asbestos on the up flapper. An important and distressing note for '78 and '79 owners, the flappers will not have the correct off takes for the tubes that scrub the heat off below the engine. I don't like this but what can one do. Also 4 gaskets and a bunch of M8 hardware. SO AN IMPORTANT NOTE, no gaskets for the little covers over the joint between the fan housing and exchanger (mine disintegrated and are also probably asbestos, I may call LeCoz in terror to try to nab some replacements) And no new hardware for the flapper valves or heater tubes, only the valves themselves, Nick will give you bolts out of his stash but not the correct sort, you know what I mean. Also no hose clamps for the bellows, mine oddly were the crimp style on the '77 so I had to cut and could not reuse. Now I'm not knitpicking here I'm just telling you people what you better get if you want to be prepared to do this right. OK installation so far, fit is fair, Dansk stuff is fair not great, I'm not saying new German would be any better but the Dansk are a bit thin as well and don't have as big of aluminum exchanger castings inside. Some quick tips, make sure you trial fit all the heat tube metal to metal connection before you get them mounted, particularly the output joint between heater box and tube that goes up to the valves, these will need a bit of reconfiguring with a hammer to get so they slip on nicely once you get them up there. Other than that standard stuff make sure to leave everything a bit loose till the muffler or crossover pipe or whatever you are using is on. And here's a neat one, that little cover plate over the fan housing to exchanger joint, those SOB's are slightly different side to side, never noticed it before. The difference is important and worth noting before you remove or you have to figure it out later like me. All in all pretty happy, felt like Christmas, could have called him St. Nick. He is having difficulty finding the '81 parts apparently but they and the set for the '78 will be coming shortly.

John vwbus@netbiz.net