Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 04 Jun 1997 07:58:21 -0500
From:         "R. A. \"Pete\" SELLERS" <sellersp@midmonet.net>
Subject:      EV Malfunction Woes!!!

Such questions from this LIST members!!!

I'll try to answer as many (as I can remember here)

Ask me agin, if I don't get to your particular question.

At the bottom of each of my messages (like this one) is an identification of our Eurovan.

We currently have just over 93,000 miles on it.

We have few, but, some major engine repairs (don't wnat to put up a long, detailed list nor the cost of repairs).

We were on a casual trip from Fort Leonard Wood to Saint Louis; we were returning from Saint Louis when we noticed the noise. Yes, I did stop one twice tocjheck if I noticed anything obvious. I mentioned that I'm no mechanic so nothing 'looked' obvious to me.

No, we did not consider stoppong on the road and "getting to the nearest dealer' an option at that time. The 'nearest' dealer IS in Saint Louis; we live near Fort Leonard Wood, we were heading for Fort Leonard Wood, we have other cars, that were at Fort Leonard Wood. It was night and we were in never-never-land, as for as I was concerned. Folks don't just stop and offer to help or, by happenstance have a spare Eurovan compressor in their vehicle around this part of the world. It seemed to make more sense to keep the vehicle moving and get my family back to or as close to the safety and security of our home than to let it 'die' on the road then we'd have other problems needng to be dealt with, at the time!

As I mentioned, it was night (& Sunday) and parts stores were closed. I probably would not have attempted to 'check with stores for the part' then becuase of the current circumstance butalso, my experience with something as simple and common as an oil filter not being previusly stocked did not give me a lot of encouragement to look.

I did not personally go to look for the compressor, the mechanic did. Yes, I was willing to trust himat that time.

I could not dive the vehicle any more since the serpentine belt, TYHE ONLY belt, wss broken. It would not have made a difference to get or frabricate another belt since the compressor bearing(s) had seized, the pulley would not have moved and woud have destroyed AZNOTHER belt in the 150-plus mile drive.

The mechanic told me that it would have done not good to try and find a shorter belt and attempt to drive, bypassing the compressor since the compressor's axle would have been in the way and the potential for more damage was great (if this is not logical to some of you, don't tell me - it's after-the-fact). I accpeted the advice and acted accordingly.

Not I have not attempted to make calls to some the the 'reliable VW parts places", mainly because I dno;t know them, I had a rather busy schedule with my profession, in the subsequent days, and (I respect those of you who do that but ...) we purchased this vehicle to use it for pleasure and enjoyment, not as a 'project' for work and maintenance.

Our pattern has been to do what we can or need to keep it clean and running smoothly, If we detect something going (or goes wrong) we take it to someone (preferably a dealer, if we can find one within a few hundred miles) to get it fixed.

Admittedly we've paid bundles for that feature but it satisfied our requirements. Unfortunately, we now feel that the VW Of America 'network' (corporate, dealers and maintenance staff) have let us down. We'll have high consideration of this when we plan which vehicle we next purchase ... but that's another story!!

So far, the expected bill to get our toy back on the road is past $1,000 and climbing.

Respect, --

Pete SELLERS - sellersp@midmonet.net FLW, MO - Voice: (573) 774-1895 / FAX: 336-5128 '74 THING (Pete's "PLAY" THING) '93 Eurovan, MV, Weekender (The Conestoga)