Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jun 1997 19:18:59 -0500
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <hanran.inc@internetmci.com>
Subject:      Fwd: My    1st 1st 1st 1st 1st   Westy  -'84 Westy information

-- [ From: * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

Kenneth,

I have an 84 Westy. My experience has been good and free of major catastrophes.

Some insights:

After 14 years in service, there is a high probability that the fuel lines/fittings may be in need of replacement, especially the plastic "Y" fittings into the top of the fuel tank. Approach them from the wheel wells for initial "feel by hand" inspection. Drop the spare tire tray (remove the pin) to access them from under the van. NO NEED to drop the tank.

CV joints need to be inspected, no doubt, especially after the above- mentioned 14 years of service.

I give attention to oil weight and oil filter requirements for our climate and for our operating characteristics. I've used 20-50 oil and OEM filters to avoid any oil pressure problems. I keep the VW in the Southern California desert, so cold weather starting problems are minimum. Other listees may have other insights in respect to climatic condition requirements.

I keep a watchful eye on the distributor cap, rotor and spark plugs. I follow the recommended durations for replacements and brands. I keep to Bosch, notwithstanding some perceived additional expense. "Pay me now, or pay me later."

With respect to the Dometic appliances, I have little problem lighting the fridge if I attach city power to the 120 exterior plug and run the fridge overnight before lighting the propane. I use the propane for refrigeration underway or parked. Additionally, I've acquired a small battery-powered fan ($15.00 at Camping World) for improved circulation, and cooling, in the fridge.

I've cheated to avoid replacing the drooping rubber gasket by picking out the rusted spring and applying GE Silicone goop, sparingly, into the gasket and hand-holding each 6" or 8" segment I've adhesed. Ron at busdepot.com offers them at a reasonable price. ( Usual disclaimers apply.) My patches have endured two, usual, hot summers in the desert and a fall and a winter in the East. The key word is sparingly. You can "thumb off" any excess. Contact cement, in my opinion, would scar the Fibreglas top and should be avoided.

More technical minds than mine can verse you on the fine distinctions between Digijet and Digifant FI. I change all filters, in all crevices and nooks and crannies, with religious attention. The fuel filter merits my special devotion. Look, too, for contaminated brake and clutch fluid. Consider purging to set your milepost for periodic replacement of fluid. Corrupted fluid breeds a raft of problems, especially in the 83.5 and the 84 Vanagon, in rusted brakes, failed clutch slave cylinder and general brake health, I'm told.

Our clutch is original and the mileage is 153,000. The PO and I both learned to drive in the early "three on the floor" days, in low, so TLC of the clutch may be part of the lifespan.

My AC is an aftermarket installation which is in wide open operation about half of the year, and which puts an available HP demand on the 1.9 engine to no appearant damage to the powerplant. During the rest of the year, we run it twice a week to keep the seals intact. I see my friendly Pep Boys for the $19.95" AC "special" evaluation, annually The $19.95 is credited if work is needed on the system.

Keep in touch on the '84. Good luck.

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA

------- FORWARD, Original message follows -------