Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jun 1997 15:17:55 EDT
From:         uvx196@juno.com (Jim Thompson)
Subject:      Re: Westy Engines

On Sat, 28 Jun 1997 11:42:21 -0500 sdurrant@MosbyCH1.com (Scott Durrant) writes: >Hi All, > >More questions. > >It is my understanding that the water-boxers from '83.5 --> '87 had >some >design flaws resulting in head leak problems, but the '88 --> '91 >water-boxers had this problem fixed.

Actually, the cooling system was redesigned for the 1986 model year, the same year the 2.1 was introduced.

In doing a recent engine job on my 84 Auto Westy, I carefully went through each part of the cooling system, thoroughly checking all of the components - radiator, heater core(s), pipes, etc. Looking at the diagrams in Bentley and comparing them to the existing 1.9 cooling system I really could not find any inherent "design" flaws. The heads are basically the same, especially when attaching to the case & cylinders and the water flow appears to be going in the same direction in both versions of the engine. Still, I'm no engineer and have relative "newby" status compared to others on the list when it comes to Wassers. After 2 1/2 years (83.5 thru 85), VW Engineers (an oxymoron?) apparently felt the system needed improvement and a re-design was made. In reading the posts from various 86-91 owners, there appears to be "some" improvement, but people still have their problems with it I guess.

I'm presently using the existing 1.9 cooling system with my 2.1 engine upgrade and have encountered no problems so far in the past few hundred miles, even in century-mark weather here in Northern Calif. and I have been keeping an eye on the coolant tanks, hoses and other stuff while it's being broken-in. Water Temp Gauge needle has been consistently running between just to the left of the warning LED to just over the LED itself, even in stop-and-go traffic. Stays that way too at 65mph on I-5. I run an 80C (160F) OE German Thermostat and stock (87C) Fan Switch. I have a 76C Fan Switch that is standard equipment on the later (88-91?) models that I hope to install to get the fan to come on sooner, but maybe I'm being paranoid, eh? (VW 251-959-481K)

Maybe it's a little over-board, but my late father instilled to me the need for proper vehicle periodic maintenance and even more so, preventative maintenance with regards to Volkswagens since the early 60's. I apply that learning to any vehicle I own (and have owned) by religiously following a maintenance schedule. I check my v-belt & oil daily (and now with the 84, the coolant tanks too) and weekly check other stuff that I've learned "could" present a problem (such as fuel hoses [and now coolant hoses/pipes/fittings]). It's amazing how many people have pulled into the business and can't remember the last time they checked their v-belt, coolant or oil or even looked into the engine compartment ("I let my mechanic handle it"). You don't have to be Joe-Mechanic to do this either. Just learn the areas that need looking after on a regular basis. OTOH, there are vehicles out there that no matter what you do, they just nickel 'n' dime you to death.

Answers to the other questions below:

> >Questions: > >Will an engine from an '88 --> '91 Westy bolt right into the '83 --> >'87 >Westys?

Sure, shouldn't present a problem. I didn't see any glaring modifications that had to be made when doing it. I did have to use the Center Air Plenum and Air Intake Runners from the 86-91 2.1 engine as per VW & Bentley. Used the original 1.9 Digijet FI and runs great (so far).

> >And if so, what will one pay for a good rebuilt '88 --> '91 Westy >engine?

Long block rebuilds are around $1800 exchange PLUS about a $700 Core Charge if there is no exchange. Core charges are of course subject to the inspection of the core engine by the rebuilder. Personally speaking, I've found and heard from others that AVP in Sacramento, CA tend to have the best overall quality for both engines and heads. They did a super job on my 2.1 heads for my upgrade. I'm sure other listees have had as good luck with others not mentioned so often.

With regards to Wasser Cylinder Heads, I happen to like what Leonard at AVP does to certain areas where the Water Jackets come awful close to the outside casting areas. Leonard welds and builds up these areas which are prone to cracking and in effect, cause water/steam leaks. Pitting on the joining faces is a problem regardless if it's a 1.9 or 2.1 engine, caused by electrolysis between the two different metals of the head/cylinder contact. I've heard that using coolant with no phosphates helps prevent this and even adding additional grounstraps between the 2 heads and the body/frame help too. Again, I'm no expert, but what the hey, I'll try anything to extend the life of a newly-rebuilt engine.

> >Are new '88 --> '91 engines available? How much?

Not to the best of my knowledge. Not even VW offers these anymore, that I know of. Maybe Oettinger in Germany, but betcha it ain't cheap.................;-)

Hope this helps. Good luck Scott!

Jim 84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Beetle (Father was orig. owner) Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home (oldvolkshome1@juno.com) (916)221-5342