Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jun 1997 23:15:17 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      @%^%$@ Dansk Exchangers

OK VW is still getting even with me for taking them. A couple comments to qualify my previous ones, Dansk exchanger are no where near as well stamped. If you look at a german set of the '76-'78 style the oval output tubes are beautiful clean, regular shaped. The dansk are crinkled and ugly and hard to fit. Funny thing is I think it may be because the Dansk seem to use THICKER steel for the box, the lighter weight comes from less aluminum exchanger inside not the outside I think. But the main annoyance is towards the front, the lip that meets with the blower is nowhere near correct, just enough to be miserable, the upper lip is cut a bit to far back, the holes on mine misdrilled slightly, and the upper lip is slightly to high. All these slightly's about 1/16" each but they stack up to give you headaches. AND the oil filter problem is correct. Depends of course on how bowed your U tubes are and how the box you get is made but with a Bosch filter the box touched mine. The problem is obvious, another cheapo maldesign. The German box side seams are rolled together and crimped close to the box (stick out no more than 3/16") the Dansk is simply spot welded and cut roughly about 1/2" out, so that eats up all the room at the filter location. I ground 1/4" off mine there and still can only fit a thin stamped steel wrench not one of the aluminum style. A final quible no drain holes drilled I did it myself in the stock location and one other. Actually though the fit with the muffler was OK and once everything was massaged and muscled into shape it all worked out fairly nicely. The flapper valves are as nice as stock, the bellows are quite nice fit great, and the silicone seals are actually a miracle in themselves for ease of installing the bellows compared to the old asbestos units. A 70mm hose clamp will just fit the connections if you preinstall it on the bellows with the silicone seal then muscle it in. And one more gripe, no bolts and no little cable connection toggle thingy for the heater control cable lever. Better hope your old come apart OK. I feel that on the vanagon and on a '73-'75 or '79 with the round output holes these problems would not be so bad, it is getting the oval to fit correctly. In fact a Vanagon would be a breeze with no fan housing connections, course on all those you risk head stud problems instead.

John vwbus@netbiz.net