Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Jun 1997 16:02:10 -0500 (US Eastern Standard Time)
From:         Harold  Teer <teerhb@jmu.edu>
Subject:      Digest Mode

I teach at a university and receive anywhere from 20-50 e-mail messages a day from other faculty, students, administrators. Putting the vanagon list messages (30-60) on top of my normal daily traffic was just too much e-mail. Our system was not set up to allow me to have vanagon messages sent to a separate folder. So, I tried the digest mode out of desperation since I love the list but the number of messages I was receiving was making my life too difficult.

Now, I receive one message a day from the list. At the beginning of the message there is a listing of all messages for the day with a number associated with each message. For example, if I see a subject listing for something I am interested in, I notice what message number it is and just scroll down to that message. The complete e-mail message is there with the heading, body, and signature. If I want to read all messages for the day, I just open the one message and then scroll down and read the full content.

What do I see as advantages? I only receive one message a day from the vanagon list. If I am out of town for 4 days, I only have 4 vanagon messages and not 200. If I am out of town for 10 days I don't have to remember to unsubscribe before I leave since I will only have 10 messages and not 500. I can honestly say that I would have probably left the list had I not been able to go to digest mode. If I am particularly busy and just don't have time to read the digest message, I just delete one message (very rarely do I do this since I am afraid I will miss something.)

What do I see as disadvantages? If I want to print a particular message and not the whole digest message, I need to block it, paste it to a word processing document and then print it. Not a real problem but it is an extra step. I obviously don't save as many vanagon e-mail messages as I used to since each mail message may include 50 messages. However, I can always go to the vanagon archives if I need to look at old messages. Sometimes it would be an advantage to see messages as soon as they are sent out and not at the end of the day. For example, if someone ever posts a message that they have a brand new camper tent for sale for $100, it will be long gone by the time I receive the digest mode at the end of the day.

Overall opinion? I can now have all vanagon messages sent to a separate folder if I want to but I prefer to just receive one message a day. Psychologically, there is something to be said for receiving one message instead of 50. A colleague of mine subscribed to the list and unsubscribed because of the number of messages coming his way. Had he gone to digest mode, I believe he would still be on the list.

Hope this helps,

Harold

Harold Teer Department of Marketing James Madison University Phone (540)568-3049 FAX (540)568-2754 teerhb@jmu.edu