Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Jun 1997 14:09:37 -0700
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@ibm.net>
Subject:      Old alternative driving light proposal reviewed

I'd read that high-end Audi and BMWs had gas discharge headlamps earlier, so while reading about the new VW Passat, I found the following clip interesting.

***********copy follows************

Gas-discharge headlamps emit 2-1/2 times more light than conventional halogen-bulb units. The source of light is a glass lamp filled with xenon gas. The gas is ignited by a high-tension electric pulse generated in a special supply unit. Xenon lamps run for about 2,500 hours or four times as long as the average halogen bulb. The new Passat is the first Volkswagen to have this form of lighting as a factory option.

************end copy************

I've followed evolving driving light improvements for 4 decades now and confess to having used high amperage aircraft landing lights nearly as long ago, as well as having performed lots commercial product trials. These Xenon lamps sound to me like an appropriate solution. You're already familiar with Xenon lamps' excellent color temperature. They've been used in photo flash units for years. Few VW Bus drivers enjoy really good driving light systems, and some originally equiped VW Van lighting systems borderline on being dangerously inadequate.

The old suggestion of polarizing driving light output and similarly polarizing the driver's night view still appeals to me, though I understand the DOT has never approved it for use on US roadways. As I understand it, part of DOT staff's objection to the proposal was reduction to already limited light output available from then current lamps that auto electrical systems could sustain.

Consider your whole lighting system designed to substitute for natural illumination at dark times (did you think I was going to say "night," hereby failing to consider eclipses?). You send out visible radiation and depend on what's reflected back to make driving decisions on which your family's life may depend. Obviously the better your information/noise ratio, the better your decisions. The implications are clear.

Imagine your vehicle is both send/receive polarized on the top left to bottom right axis of X, and so are vehicles approaching you from the opposite direction. You clearly and brightly see your own reflected illumination. But similarly equiped on-coming traffic illumination appears to you to be polarized on the bottom left to top right axis, so their driving lamps don't brightly glare information "noise" into your eyes. X pattern polarized illumination is very clever and very appropriate if the supporting equipment exists. I suggest that time is finally at hand.

The first obvious concern about any new system is backward compatibility with prevailing standards. By increasing lamp output, then through polarization, proportionally decreasing it to the current DOT allowable maximum, no other drivers would be negatively impacted by the appearance of this new standard on US public roadways. But drivers and passengers of other polarized illumination system equiped vehicles would be positively impacted. So the backward compatibility test appears positive.

Another concern is electrical load sustainability. Two convergent changes have worked to our benefit here. Gas discharge lamps like Xenons and metal halides are much more efficient in converting electrical energy into visible radiation than halogens that were "state of the art" a quarter century ago. Times change, and with them so too have typical motor vehicle electrical systems. Larger sustainable load carrying capacity is common in cars today than when big fins were popular.

An even smaller metal halide gas discharge lamp for battery pack equiped bicyles is now available. It's 21 watts produce light equivelant to a conventional auto headlight! Granted, they're priced like moon rocks, but with near zip production volumes, new technologies tend to be that way.

Anyway, I hope this sparked some interest. If the DOT got enough requests to reevaluate the X pattern driving light polarization proposal again in the context of today's new more efficient lamps and improved electrical systems, perhaps we might foster a more pleasant tomorrow and save a few lives at the same time.

If you feel this posting should be reviewed by other eyes and you subscribe to other appropriate e-mail lists or similar information exchange facilities, feel free to "cut and paste" parts of it as you see fit into a contribution for their eyes. There's no need for attribution to me as my only objective here is to make tomorrow better.

Thanks for your consideration and the best to you all, Blue