Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jun 97 00:23:15 UT
From:         "Tom Brunson" <TABRUN@msn.com>
Subject:      RE: '87 Wf overheated on fwy; tank dry

Gail,

Don't feel bad about not noticing the temperature gauge - reminds me in '77 when my 2-week old BMW 530 lost a coolant hose in Dallas and I didn't notice until the engine rev'd to about 4000 at idle. That engine was fine 'till I sold the car with 130,000 miles.

The Vanagon isn't likely to warp a head or anything from such an incedent. However you may find the cylinder water-jacket seals start to leak, as the bond to the heads may fail from high heat. If you notice dripping from this area I suggest you have it attended to - although it means pulling heads to replace the gasket. The aluminum head corrosion will really accellerate at a leakage point (you often find aluminum hose fittings quite corroded also on aluminum engines - all my VWs and BMWs) - and head corrosion is a major weakness of the Vanagon.

If it seems like the coolant disappeared suddenly look carefully for a leak - failed hose or waterpump seal - as soon as you re-fill and start the engine - and after it warms up.

Watch for these symptoms:

The red indicator light should flash if the coolant gets low - that's the sensor in the top of the expansion tank (not the fill (overflow) tank). If the expansion tank is low and the light isn't flashing you should check the warning system.

The cooling fan on the '87 with AC has three speeds: Low is normal cooling from the (95C) sensor in the radiator or the A/C relay. Mid-speed is from the AC system high-pressure switch (kicks the fan higher if the freon pressure gets too high). High speed means the coolant temp is over 102C - this also cuts out the AC compressor. If your cooling system is in good shape the high speed should never kick in. (Even in Texas summers - traffic jams at over 100F.)

When it does - possible causes:

1) low coolant (It shouldn't drop - find the cause). 2) Bad radiator temp. switch (behind the lower grill on the driver side). 3) Bad series resistor (behind the driver side headlight) 4) Bad contact at connectors on any of the above. 5) Clogged radiator (or blocked airflow through radiator / condensor) 6) Blown fuse (30A S1) - the high speed uses a different 50A fuse 7) Head seal leaking into cooling system.

Both the low and mid fan speed run current through the series resistor behind the headlight. This is a big (green) ceramic wire-round resistor mounted on a little metal bracket because it gets HOT. On my '87 one wire in it melted through and - no low fan speed. To test it, first just run the AC and see if the cooling fan is running. You can also pull the lower grill, unplug the coolant temp switch and jumper terminals 2&3 on the connector (note terminal 3 is always live - even with ignition off). Low speed should check the mid speed part of the resistor too - since mid speed just uses half the windings. However on my '87 I had a bad contact at the mid-speed wire connector on the resistor, so mid speed wouldn't work anyway.

I hope this helps - cooling problems are a pain.

Tom Brunson '87 Westy '91 Carat '93 EV etc