Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jun 1997 00:18:53 -0400
From:         Bill Thomas <vanagon@atl.mindspring.com>
Subject:      83 Westy update

Just got my 83 back from Alex. Update on work done to date:

Adjust shift linkage - worked like a charm: good to have 1st and 2nd gears back! (sorry Ron - forgot to ask Alex what he did. Will follow up with a phone call).

Bypass heater core, coolant flush & fill, brake/clutch fluid replacement, 4 new CV boots.

All of the above for $295. Very reasonable.

Also, 4 new Michelin MX 185SR 14 - 6 ply tires, $340 total cost.

I myself changed tranny fluid to Valvoline 75W-90 100% synthetic gear oil after struggling with the drain plug. A combination of a 17 mm hex socket adapter with a 17 mm open end wrench on part of the hex did the trick - no room for the adapter attached to a ratchet or breaker bar as the exhaust cross tube is in the way. Noticed shift linkage boot missing while searching for fill plug.

Replaced all vacuum hose, checked distributor advance/retard diaphrams with a vacuum pump and cleaned plug wire ends, adjusted clips for a tight fit and coated them with silicone dielectric grease to attempt a cure for throttle on hesitation and rough acceleration. All of this helped but still have to get RPM,s up for a smooth start in 1st - almost as if no vacuum advance is taking place. Notice that Alex sealed the air meter plate as it was formerly loose. A problem with moving contacts? Looked like new inside earlier.

Added a can of Slick 50 fuel system cleaner to help with above. Came highly recommended by the pros at a local NAPA. Waiting for the plastic fuel pre-filter to arrive so I can install the main fuel filter.

Plan on switching to Castrol Syntec 5W-50 100% synthetic at next oil change. Have used it with excellent results in BMW's, Toyotas, and even in the 1600cc type II engine in my 69 Westy. Cuts oil consumption to near zero in sound engines.

Nephews thought the Westy was the coolest thing since Nintendo. Enjoyed crawling around in the bunk and yelling at passing friends through the unzipped window. Promised to take them camping (when I am confident of no break-downs!).

Bill