Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jun 1997 07:10:01 EDT
From:         uvx196@juno.com (Jim Thompson)
Subject:      1.9 Throttle Body onto 2.1 Center Air Plenum

Another tip to those on the list that I learned in my recent 2.1 conversion (reminded to me by reply to Jeff/Oxroad@aol.com's Vacuum Leak Problem with his Throttle Body)

When using a replacement (new) case for 1.9's or when upgrading to 2.1 using the Digijet, VW and Bentley says to use the 2.1 Center Air Plenum (025-133-055B).

I have mentioned before that I had to use the 2.1 Air Intake Runners as well because short 1.9 connecting hoses are too small to fit the hose flanges on the Plenum. VW/Bentley makes no mention of this.

The other thing I failed to note was that a slight modification was needed to attach the 1.9 Throttle Body to the 2.1 Plenum. The Throttle Body mating flange on the 2.1 Plenum's "curl" is a little larger that it's 1.9 predecessor. Hmmmmm.......Looked at a 2.1 Throttle Body.....can't use that because the intake throat of that appears too large for the 1.9 Air Intake Elbow coming from the Air Box.

Thanks to my best bud Cliff (who's done this before), he told me to initally install the 1.9 Throttle Body to the 2.1 Plenum WITHOUT the gasket and tighten it all the way. What happens is that the 1.9 TB's smaller taper will cause the Plenum's flange to "curl" even smaller to accept the Throttle Body's taper. After, that remove the Throttle Body then reinstall with the Seal. Fit perfectly. Does not harm, score or otherwise damage the Throttle Body or it's taper that I could see.

Again - VW/Bentley makes no mention of this. YMMV

Oh yes - use the original type 1.9 Throttle Body Seal (new of course). It's also the same seal used the the Air Cooled FI 75-83. I've got 'em in stock (one of many "weird" things I have).

Guess ya learn by doing ;-)

Jim 84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Beetle (Father was orig. owner) Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home (oldvolkshome1@juno.com) (916)221-5342