Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jun 1997 06:37:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Christopher M. Smith" <csmith@sdsc.edu>
Subject:      AC in Air-Cld vs Water-Cld, Opinions Please!

RE: Air-Conditioning and our Beloved VW's

I have an 86' Westy with AC that doesn't appear to affect performance, over-heating, etc., when it's running. Can the same be said for AC on an air-cooled VW?

What's the story on AC in an air-cooled VW (say a 70's or 80's vanagon, 1.8, 2.0L) ?

Would running the AC in the extreme conditions (i.e., HOT!) have a 'disasterous' effect of the air-cooled engine ? What are the short- and long-term effects ?

I'd like to hear the experiences from those running AC on their air-cooled vanagons, type2's, and from those of you with practical- technical-theoretical thoughts on the subject.

Thanks, Chris

P.S. I'm considering selling my 82' 2.0L, air-cooled vanagon to a fellow listee in Texas, who wants to install AC for obvious reasons. But, I'm leary of selling him a vehicle that may not meet his needs (asumming AC on an air-cooled engine in the middle of Texas is not such a great idea).

--------

San Diego Supercomputer Center P.O. Box 85608 San Diego, California 92186-5608 (619) 534-8370 (office) csmith@sdsc.edu