Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jun 1997 08:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:         BLAINE_BACHMAN%PL-01M3@ccmail.plk.af.mil
Subject:      The Daily Rambling

Prologue:

Thanks to everyone eager to help me find the front washer bottle. Found! Interesting note: Though one respondent felt that there were dried and cracked seals which caused an overfilling to result in washer fluid spilling on the garage floor, the majority ascribe this phenomenon to good "German Engineering" which supposedly provides an overflow tube to prevent gross spillage inside the van. Not having crawled underneath to observe this firsthand, my money's with the latter explanation.

Page One:

Got back late last night from a 3 day, 1000+ mile trip to the boonies outside of Salina Utah. My '91 Westfalia with Automatic, A/C, and cruise control averaged 18-20 MPG on the entire trip! (EPA figure is 17.) It also did surprisingly well on about 50 miles of rutted dirt and gravel roads (and it's not a Synchro!); was glad for the right side mudflap I found and installed earlier. Apologies if anyone stood on a street corner in Moab waiting for a Silver Westfalia to pass (see earlier post); at the last minute we decided to take the "Million dollar highway" north from Durango to Grand Junction. Serious grades and steep dropoffs (and few guardrails!), but definitely worth the trip. Oddly enough, this was the segment where we got 20 MPG, and don't start saying stuff about it being all downhill, because it wasn't.

Which brings me to...

Page Two:

The relatively flat "Odyssey" back from South Carolina, and a weekend trip to Cloudcroft NM, hadn't prepared me for the true gutlessness of the waterboxer engine when confronted with the extreme mass of the penultimate Westfalia in all its glory and the Rocky Mountains. Now I understand what all you folks have been griping about. Sure, it wails on the straight and flat (even with a headwind), but the speedo needle drop off when one hits a grade is frightening (inertial dampeners, anyone?). How much would I give for one of those Oettenger Wasserboxer 6's? (BTW, I'll get the reference for those articles and maybe even transcribe one of them to the list.)

I did learn a little trick when using the cruise control - as the grade approaches, use the pedal to advance the speed 5mph - gives the CC a fighting chance.

Page Three:

Learned a vent trick that helped the A/C cope (at least on the '91); set the levers to flow the vent air to the front-of-dash vents, then shut them off using the "wheel" on the side of each. Voila'! Almost no hot air getting in!

Page Four:

In the anything that can go wrong (at the last minute) department - since I was leaving Thursday evening for the trip, I went out to the parking lot after lunch and fired up the propane on the fridge for a pre-cool. Drove home and parked on the street (flat) and left it running (the fridge, not the car). Came out about 10 minutes later, slid open the side door, and was greeted with a rush of sooty air. Since it was windy out, I thought that something there was affecting it. Aired out the van, and went for a relight - no flashing light. 8A fuse was blown. New one pops immediately. Wiring diagram says this fuse feeds the cooling fan and (I think) the propane ignitor (remember, this is a '91 with the later fridge). Pull the three-wire connector under the sink, and temporarily remove the one wire that comes from the 8A fuse so at least I can run it on 12V. Works okay - and later on 110V, but lack of fan doesn't help.

Question - I imagine that now I'm gonna have to pull the fridge and do a first-ever "physical" on it. At first I suspected that the cooling fan may have shorted, but since other parts of the fridge seem to be on this circuit - especially the ignitor - maybe that's not the problem. Any "Oh yeah, that happened to me!" inputs out there?

TIA

-Blaine