Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jun 1997 14:16 -0600 (MDT)
From:         BLAINE_BACHMAN%PL-01M3@ccmail.plk.af.mil
Subject:      Re: Lumberyard carb conversion

Chris-

Somewhat tongue-on-cheek, I'll suggest that you only accept advice on wood at the lumberyard.

Don't fiddle with a half-baked solution. Chuck the duals (apologies to anyone named Charles) and buy a Weber progressive conversion kit. Consists of a complete manifold set (two pair of runners, center plenum, hardware) and a dual stage progressive carb. The carb is usually "spec'ed" to the application by the importer/seller, but better check.

Used to be these setups cost about $150 new; they're probably more like $250 now. Fortunately, I've seen several for sale at VW wrecking yards and picked one up for under $100. It will need a carb rebuild before I install it on my "Project 411", but I can do that.

Somewhere I have a Weber jetting kit that I bought for a reasonable price. This allowed me to fine tune the carb over time to eliminate hesitation and fouled plugs. You may want to consider same, if you're mechanically inclined.

The Weber is a little finicky if the incoming fuel pressure is too high. Most folks who I know who have used the stock VW mechanical pump haven't had problems, but if you use an electric, get a regulator.

Best thing about this system (beyond not having to synch two carbs) is that the complex linkage is eliminated. Depending on the jetting, the fuel economy may suffer, but performance is usually increased.

BTW, DO NOT USE a 009 distributor on the Type IV engine (this ought to be one of the Ten Commandments). The advance-at-idle it requires to run the engine at full speed advance will cause serious overheating. I forget the exact number, but the Type IV needs a lot of advance (twenty something, thirty something degrees), but it usually needs to be at or near zero at idle to keep from cooking the heads and pistons. With a little work you can actually use the stock distributor; you just have to find the proper tubes to connect the advance and retard sides of the vacuum unit.

-Blaine