Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jun 97 22:52:38 UT
From:         "Tom Brunson" <TABRUN@msn.com>
Subject:      RE: Wasserboxer Overheating

Scott:

You've had some good advice already - for general overheating I think a clogged radiator is very common on wasserboxers - especially if the heads have corroded and been replaced. Once the heads start leaking people commonly add generic anti-freeze, which causes the corrosion products to precipitate and clog the radiator. (Phosphate-free AF doesn't really prevent corrosion - just keeps it from clogging the system. Add phosphate and -- mush!) Not much success getting them cleaned after that.

A radiator clog causes the system to generally run hotter - it increases the back-pressure to the pump so the thermostat must open wider to get enough flow to stabilize. The gauge will usually climb quickly at long stoplights, then drop VERY slowly once you start moving at speed. (That's a good clue - the radiator's not pulling heat from the system.) And finally, opening a heater valve causes the gauge to drop quickly, because the system can provide good coolant flow if there is a functioning heat exchanger.

If this is your problem get a new radiator. They run $250 to $320 (Bus Depot, Bus Boys, Parts Place - all seem to be the same OEM model, so shop for price). Replacing it means also emptying the A/C, since the condenser is mounted to the front, but it's worth it, and isn't a bad job.

However from what you describe I think you have a different problem, especially if it happens most on freeways or driving fast. The temperature gauge light normally means that the sensor in the expansion tank is dry. If coolant isn't leaking, then air is getting into the system. Next time this happens pull over and immediately lift the engine cover and look to see if there is air in the top of the expansion tank. (If you can still see though the discolored plastic.) If so, air is being pumped in and lowering the coolant level. (Lots of "bulge" in all the hoses to allow the level to drop as gasses are added.)

How does it get in a pressurized system? A combustion chamber leak into the water jacket. The top of the wasserboxer cylinders seal to the head with metal gaskets (like the air-cooled engines) and with silicone o-rings. The o-rings must fit into counterbores in the heads as the head is installed compressing the push-rod tubes. The silicone o-rings are very soft and fragile, and with a little cocking or misalignment the edge of the head-bore can cut a section out of the o-ring. Or if the heads have be "de-worked" the counterbore may have been enlarged, losing the seal. Either can allow combustion pressure to bleed into the cooling system, usually under high-speed driving, with symptoms like you describe.

Since your van "already had the head job" you could have either of these situations - see which symptoms match best, and let us know what you find out.

Tom Brunson '87 Westy '91 Carat '93 EV etc (to ex '57 Borgward Isabella Kombi)