Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jun 1997 23:07:11 -0500
From:         tbill <tbill@startext.net>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon puzzlier

The story so far: Can't get inspection sticker for '83 Beast 'cause it won't hold proper rpm in neutral. Goes from 1300 to 3000. Also, note weird starting problem, will start cold, won't hot unless I switch to slighly stronger #2 battery. #1 has plenty of cranking power.

Got lots of good suggestions from the list.

Also check with local (Ft. Worth, TX) mechanics for their opinions:

VW dealer: Yes, it's a dead spot in the air flow thing, but we don't work on vehicles over 10 yrs old (sic).

Mechanic who installed the engine: Yes, but could also be the ground. I'm booked for 3 weeks.

Tim's German Automotive: Sounds like the FI, but we don't repair 'em, we just replace them, and it's expensive!

Here's the thots:

1. Dead spot in air flow meter thing. That's my best guess too. Also what the VW dealer told me last year. Had trouble getting the top off. List people assured me it can be done. So today I LEANED on it, didn't budge. :-( While at it, I wiped the down wind air intake clean. Dirty (crankcase stuff) and GRITTY! Don't like the idea of all that grit going into my engine!

2. Bad ground. Could be. I can't find anything that looks like a ground strap. Battery grounds look OK. Work my way to the heat sink thing, looks like a problem waiting to happen, but can't find anything wrong

3. Distributor. Nothing wrong here that I could see, except rubber boot where the 3 little wires attach broken, connection seems to have clean grease on it. I clean it up.

So I'm standing there scratching my head, when I have one of those miraculous revelations, and go straight to the problem! On the throttle, the top little switch! Clicks (on or off?) when you open the throttle. Disconnect and the problem goes away!

So I run down to the local inspection guy, but he's booked for the rest of the afternoon. Try tomorrow.

QUESTIONS: What is this thing? Do I need it?

And it starts everytime (so far!)

TBill (Hindi for 'He who does not understand FI)

***Still looking for a good mechanic in the Metroplex!***