Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 04 Nov 1997 16:00:56 -0500
From:         Gary Norris <rnorris@wam.umd.edu>
Subject:      Fram Double-Guard Filters and Steering Wheel Odometer Woes

Hey, All, Has anyone used the Fram Double Guard Oil Filter on their Vanagon? Here is the box blurb on its attributes:

"Contaminants from combustion and other sources can lodge in tight engine passages, causing serious and costly damage to bearings, cylinders and other moving parts. On average, a car's oil passes through its engine and through its oil filter about 12,000 times for every 3,000 miles driven. If you're looking for a filter that keeps dirt out and your engine performing at its peak - check out Fram Double Guard. Twice the protection makes this product twice as appealing!

The Fram Double Guard oil filter provides double the defense against dirt and wear for less than the cost of separately purchasing a bottle additive and filter, with the convenience of using only one product. These filters stop dirt more than any other leading filter, 96 percent +, versus an average of 74.6 percent for the other leading brands. Thus, fewer damaging particles reach the engine. Fram's secret? Fram's superior media is combined with DuPont Teflon PTFE.

Teflon PTFE, the same material used in Slick 50, helps create a lasting, micro-thin coating that prevents potential metal-to-metal contact during the first start-up and for up to 50,000 miles. Each filter provides the same amount of Teflon PTFE as a quart of the leading oil additive. Although you will still need to replace your oil and filter every 3,000 miles, Double Guard needs to be used only once a year for year-long PTFE protection.

Initial product research indicated that there was wide consumer acceptance of the new Fram Double Guard. Seven out of 10 respondents rated the concept as excellent or very good, and 70 percent strongly agreed that Double Guard was a convenient way to use an additive and that it would help protect their cars engine during start-up."

I bought a couple at a FLAPS that was having a going-out-of-business sale for $4.00 a piece. I knew they were normally expensive so I picked them up. Should I use them? Are there problems with the teflon-impregnated filters?

By the way, I can't see my dash through my steering wheel either. At 6'3" and over 300 lbs. I have trouble fastening my seatbelt too. I don't have a swivel under the driver's side and even with the seat as far back as it goes my legs get cramped on long trips. There was more driver room in my '57 Beetle.

I'm contemplating being surgically shortened to accomadate my Westy better. -- ********************************************************************* _________________ | | Gary Norris: (|_________________|) '86 Volvo DL |\ \ | / /| '86 Cabriolet | \ \ | / / | '73 Thing | - \___________/ - | '87 Syncro Westy | 0 | | 0 | 19' Manatee runabout |___|__|_____|__|___| rnorris@wam.umd.edu |__| |__| "My cat's breath smells like cat food" - Ralph Wiggum