Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 May 1997 22:00:06 -0500
From:         "J.T. & Kathy Walsh" <fsjtw1@aurora.alaska.edu>
Subject:      Problems that need solutions...

I own a 1986 GL Syncro, manual trans, AC, PS, calif. emmisions w/108,000 miles.

Problem #1... I like to change ALL fluids in a used van that I buy. It gives me a little piece of mind. Everything is done except the transmission and differential. I found the plugs on the differential and the drain plug on the transmission, but I can't find a fill plug. The differential lockout valve seems to be located in the position one would find a fill plug on a manual trans.. Do I have to remove this valve to fill it or is it somewhere else?

Problem #2... The fuel tank keeps pressurizing on me. Bently doesn't give much in the way of operation theory, however, after studying their diagrams, I assume that this is a closed vent system. If this is true, I have to assume that there is a blockage somewhere. There is a vent valve on top of the tank and a charcoal filter that might be the cause. If the problem is in the vent valve, do I have to drop the tank in order to change it? In a recent posting on the list, there was a recomendation that all of the vent hoses should be changed from time to time. In my case I agree since I know very little of the past history of this van but all of the hoses are on the top of the tank. Is there a way to change these without dropping the tank? Also, would a clogged charcoal filter cause the tank to pressurize?

In the mean time I have made a temporary fix by drilling a #40 hole in the backing plate and seal on the gas cap. This allows the tank to vent to atmosphere just like my old beat up Ford pickup.

I want to get all of my ducks lined up before I start tearing things apart. Any parts that have to be ordered have to come from the lower 48. Camelback VW has been real good to me in the past but it doesn't come cheap.

Up here in Alaska, the summers are to short to have my main mode of family transportation down for long. I would appreciate any information and/or recommendations . You can E-mail me directly or reply to the list. I read the it every evening.

Thanks in advance for a great source of information and comraderie.

J.T and Kathy 86 GL Syncro Fairbanks, Alaska fsjtw1@aurora.alaska.edu