Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         5 Jun 1997 09:46:32 -0600
From:         "Carl Hansen" <Carl_Hansen@ATK.COM>
Subject:      re- alternator woes

BatSubject: re: alternator woes 6/5/97 10:04 AM RE: Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 12:30:05 -0500 >From: Tonya Pope <galba@premier.net> Subject: alternator brushes

I took it to a local place that rebuilds them and they tried swapping out the regulator without any luck. They did say that the brushes were extremely worn but they didn't have any of the right ones that they could put into it. Now my alternator is back at home without a dime being spent on it yet. So, where's the best/cheapest place to find the brushes? Thanks all, Tonya 87 Vanagon GL Wolfs 74 S. Beetle ************************** Hi Tonya. When experiencing alternator problems on my '89 Syncro, I discovered that the only problem was the commutator was corroded, so the brushes were not making good contact. A little bit of Emery cloth fixed that. Spin alternator by hand, and hold cloth lightly against commutator.

Well, OK, you asked about Brushes/Regulators. I discovered that they are available at NAPA. But NAPA seemed to not know that most VW Regulator sets seemed to look the same. They list some vehicles, and not others, even though it looks like the Regulator looked the same to me. (I was comparing between my '87 GTI, the wifes '86 Scirocco, and a Regulator from a motor from a '90 Vanagon)

So maybe if you find a NAPA store, with a knowledgeable salesman who kan use his head??? Also try Rossi/Big Wheel. They had Regulators as well.

UMMMM, now that I think of it, aren't the brushes integral to the Regulator???? If swapping out the regulator did no good, check my comment above about the commutator. The circumstances of my case were that the vehicle had sat for quite awhile without being run. A glaze had built up on the commutator. It was not obvious that the commutator was glazed, but the emery cloth did the trick.

Ch '89 Syncro Beast