Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Jun 1997 22:01:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:         hanninkt@ix.netcom.com
Subject:      91 Vanagon Auto Trans Repair Part 2

The used transmission arrived UPS on Wednesday. I pulled the pan and it looks nice and clean.

The old transmission had lots of debris in the pan and I took a sample to the dealer with me when I went to pick up the rest of the parts.

The parts man identified the remains as the one way clutch assembly and said it probably fed through some high priced pieces on its way to the oil pan. He wants me to stop by with it and do an autopsy with him on it at his house (he's a Vanagon nut).

Item Description VW Part Number Unit Price Pinion Oil Seal(2) 089 409 529B $8.34 Pinion Cover Plate O-ring 010 409 259A $4.14 Shifter Cable Boot 251 723 580 $18.36 Accelerator Cable Boot 211 713 269B $4.68

Following the good advise of some listmembers, I went to get the torque convertor checked out and ended up getting it rebuilt. I dropped it off Friday at lunch and 3 hours and $88.00 later, I had a rebuilt torque convertor. Evidently it showed no signs of wear but had a large amount of crud inside it.

Saturday was spent reassembling the transmission to the differential, working on the 75, now my daily ride and family matters.

Today, I degreased the front of the motor, installed the new cable boots, and new rear seal.

Unfortunately, it started raining at 11am and didn't stop until just before dark so the trans is in the garage on the jack ready to go.

I do have one problem that I really don't understand. In the BENTLEY on page 37.5 it shows distance "a" being 3/8" between the face of the bellhousing and the tip of the torque convertor. Mine measures 1/8". I have removed the turbine and oil pump shafts from the differential and measured the distance with the torque convertor installed only on the support shaft and still measure only 1/8". With the torque convertor on this way the distance from the starter ring gear and the starter mounting boss in the bellhousing is 1/8". In other words if I could move the torque convertor in 1/4" more the starter ring gear would hit the bellhousing.

This problem slowed me up considerably today and is the biggest reason that the transmission is not in the van.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tim Hannink Winter Park, Florida hanninkt@ix.netcom.com __ __ 1991 VANAGON Carat \ \ / / Pastel White \ \/ / 1975 TRANSPORTER __ \__/ __ Pastel White/ Station Wagon \ \ / \ / / Hawaiian Blue \ \/ /\ \/ / 1973 412 Sedan \__/ \__/ School Bus Yellow