Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Jun 1997 10:53:54 -0700
From:         mholser@Adobe.COM (Malcolm Holser)
Subject:      Re: O2 sensor question

Well, the original question was whether the O2 sensor was accomodating altitude changes, and basically, and indirectly it is, but this is not the intention of an O2 sensor.

When they go open-loop, and no longer affect the mixture is not all that simple -- they go open loop for a variety of reasons. In open-loop mode the imputs from the O2 sensor are not used at all, and I was saying that this occurs more often than not at high altitudes (which you don't find, IMHO, in North Carolina!). However, after being called on this, I cannot find the reference I recalled about an rpm limit causing open-loop operations. I still believe there is one for Motronic systems, but VW's use something that only resembles a Motronic -- and the data maps are reputed to be simpler. It is certainly *very* possible I'm wrong.

The O2 sensor is used for closed-loop operation, the closed loop being that the FI computer sees a lean mixture indication from the sensor, and enriches the mixture (by increasing the open time of the injector). The mixture becomes rich, as evidenced by an increasing voltage on the sensor, and the computer will lean it. It then sees a lean mixture, and we are into a loop, back where this paragraph started.

The system goes closed-loop during "normal" driving conditions. It breaks out of the loop, and uses other sensors at many times. Yes, start-up and warmup are two of the open-loop, non-"normal" conditions. So is full throttle, and this is what the full-throttle switch does. So is full closed throttle. So is throttle *movement* -- and for about 1 second after the throttle moves (this is read by the change in flap position in the air-flow box). There are "maps" in the computer memory that are read to determine how long to open the injectors for various conditions -- various readings on the many sensors. One of the primary inputs to these maps is the engine rpm, and the maps are designed to give the desired mixture for these conditions. Much of the range is "normal" driving, and the closed-loop operations are done, but when the sensors indicate that you want to be in a mapped range (or when the O2 sensor fails) then open-loop operations are done, and the amount of fuel squirted in is based on the data maps. A richer mixture is desired for higher rpms than you get from closed-loop operations. This was what led me to believe that there was an rpm limit above which the system goes open-loop. (and that I *thought* I read this somewhere that I can't find now!).

Regardless, I'm at full throttle quite often at high altitudes, which get to 10,000 feet near me -- I need to be to get the box over the hills here. Full throttle is open loop always.

Someday, maybe I'll actually dive into the map data. Trying to do this as black-box analysis is real tough.

malcolm

> The O2 sensor is in closed loop while in startup and warmup, then it goes > to open loop after the sensor is at operating temperature. > > Erik Peterson > Vehicle Research Institute > Backwards, and the primary reason for open-loop at warmup for systems with heated sensors is not to wait for the sensor to get to temperature -- they do this *real* fast.

> On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, kenneth d lewis wrote: > > > Malcom: > > I beg to differ. I have a dash mounted LED (O2 sensor) monitor. I have > > NEVER seen the system go into open loop once it reaches operating > > temperature. In fact the higher the RPMs the faster the lean/rich cycles > > occur.

Could be I'm wrong. But it really should go open-loop during full-throttle at the very minimum, and should be open loop at idle (when the throttle is fully closed) at least on a Digifant system. It should go open-loop as well for a short time during partial-throttle acceleration, but this may be hard to see. The fact that the O2 sensor is fluctuating is merely showing that the mixture is right, not that it is necessarily in closed-loop mode. I would expect that you might see a pattern to the cycles in closed-loop mode, but would have thought that they would be too fast to really see. Even on a full open-loop system, like the non-Calif Digijet's you can use an O2 sensor to set the proper mixture by looking for these fluctuations. That is when you are right. A stable voltage reading on an O2 sensor only indicates that the mixture is too lean or too rich. A stable reading of .45 volts means you have a bad sensor. The computer puts .45 voltage on the sensor itself, and it it reads this it knows the sensor is bad, since a good sensor won't ever *stay* at this voltage.