Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Jun 1997 22:51:11 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      Re: ?G2 on G60 Corrado?

> The G60 engine is equipped with a G-force supercharger which has > inherently bad bearings. That's why VW opted not to use that > supercharger anymore, and aftermarket companies now offer a turbocharger > replacement system which although is not as responsive, is more efficient > in the top end. > > Erik Peterson > Vehicle Research Institute

WHOOPS, that ain't exactly true. Been there done that, you can easily get 150k+ out of a G-lauder if cared well for, BUT early quality on them was sort of hit and miss, might die at 60k, might go 200k. I'd say on average easily equal to reliability of most air cooled turbos. FWIW people are also rebuilding the G60 now. Also the origional test units VW ran out to the equivalent hours of like half a million miles. VW opted not to use the blower anymore because in this market at least they had wrung about all out of a four banger they reasonably could. I note that they continued G40 production for some years thereafter, may still be making them on Polo or some other little car. The design of the G-lauder was a thing of beauty and precision, a truely neat blower but subject to very exacting tolerances. Keep the air clean and the oil changed and it will go forever, unless like most modern VW's it catastrophically fails for no particular reason.

John mechanical engineer and former G60 owner