Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 07 Jun 1997 07:49:59 -0500
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <hanran.inc@internetmci.com>
Subject:      Re: Heading to Colo. TRAILER TALES

-- [ From: * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

Doc,

We drive an 84 Westy, 157,000 miles on spedo, original engine. About 30, 000 recent miles towing.

We pull a Coleman Versatrailer with a Fibreglas top (150 pound tongue weight, 900 pound capacity) all over the country, including the Rockies of Colorado and 10,000' Bear Tooth Pass in Wyoming.

The hitch is a Valley item, class ONE, if I remember correctly, obtained and installed at Pep Boys for about $145.00 It mounts inside the bumper and requires two 1/4" cuts of the bumper on the bottom side. Cosmetically it is OK.

The essential part is to make sure that you mount the trailer to a bar attached to the structure of the vehicle. The bumper is too fragile to bear the weight and trauma of an attachment to the bumper.

Anticipate lots of slow driving, uphill, in low gear, too. Spare the brakes. Give yourself lots of time on your travel schedule.

Best regards,

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA