Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 07 Jun 1997 13:40:41 +0000
From:         John Welsh <jwelsh29@idt.net>
Subject:      Re: Need Syncro Front shocks

Carl and Listees,

My local VW dealer wanted $259 each for OEM shocks! I called several places and found the same shock, Boge, same part no., for $80 each at Discount Foreign, San Diego, 619-283-6086. (I doubt if these guys do mail order, but the point is that local parts places CAN help you). They also sold me KYB Gas-A-Just for the rear at $36 each.

The KYB's on the rear are fine. The stock OEM Boge's on the front are not stiff enough for me. Koni, KYB, and Bilstein all told me they don't make front shocks for the Syncro. Has anyone found any others?

Installing the front shocks is a pain. See

http://www.med.umn.edu:8853/misc/archives/Files/HOW-TO---Vanagon-Syncro-shock-replacement

I did it a little differently. J.C. Whitney and others (eg, local tool shops) have long-reach spring compressors, and with those I was able to compress the spring on the car and take the unit out the side, rather than out the bottom.

When reinstalling, to get the shock plunger up through the top spring seat, I drilled a little 1/16" hole through the flat tab on the top of the plunger rod, threaded wire through it, and fished it through the spring seat with needlenose pliers. The Bentley manual says to remove the front seats and use a special VW tool, but I REALLY didn't want to take those swivel seats out.

A local mechanic quoted me 4 hours per side to do the labor. It took me 4 1/2 hours to do the first side, with much head scratching and wondering what I had gotten myself into. But the second side only took two hours, once I knew the ropes.

Good Luck!

John Welsh, San Diego 87 Syncro Westy 81 Triumph TR8