Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 07 Jun 1997 23:54:50 -0500
From:         tbill <tbill@startext.net>
Subject:      Hi Speed Vanagoning

Hey, just because we drive under powered bricks doesn't mean we can't zip down the freeway as fast as the rest of them.

I use the IFT method: I Follow Trucks

Not tailgating; that could get you a rock thru the winshield. Also remember a semi can stop a lot faster than a Vanagon.

Just follow at a reasonable, but close enough distance to pick up some good drafting.

On a recent trip, I had a 6 wheeler (not the best) ahead of me to break the cross wind (not good) 68 mph. At the last of that leg I picked up a tanker (good!), did 80 with lots of throttle left. But a Saab 900 wants in between us, who knows what he is thinking. Finished off the leg behind a semi doing 70-75 in the rain.. MPG = 19.2, not bad for an automatic. (Most of my cars are sticks, but with 140k on this and not having to replace a clutch or throw out bearing is kind of nice!)

Doesn't always work out so nice. Next leg thru Arkansas had a hard time keeping up with my semi doing 76 over the hills. Flattened out in the east half of the state, but an Accura insisted on getting between us, and then would fall back.

I got around him once (flat out, 83 mph) but he muscled back in again. Why a low profile car bothers with drafting is beyond me. I wouldn't. Anyway, only got 17.1 mpg on that leg.

Ran the rest of the trip at speeds from 65 to 85. Always had a power reserve. Averaged about 19 mpg. Not a bad way to go.

TBill

***Warning: Dates in the calendar are closer than they appear.***