Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 02 Jun 1997 11:11:01 +0000
From:         Knud Haugmark <dunkdesk@post2.tele.dk>
Subject:      Nosehoseheater. partly humorous.

Hi all VWtourists

Went out for the second time in my transporter fitted with a bunk. No heating, kichen and all that stuff. Day was warm (22=B0 celsius that is,)=

though nights were chilly (2-7=B0. (Zero is frost)) So I crept into my sleeping bag and was warm and cosy until I noted that my nose was cold. Simply breathing cooled it down to about 12=B0C and I could not go to sleep with a nose feeling like the inside of a freezer. =

I considered a rebuild of the VW implying a connection from the watersystem to a small heater to attach to the nose. Water was still warm. But I did not have the tools, and besides it was dark night. =

Then I took a sock and wound it around my nose. (I have a fairly big nose). It worked in the sense, that it made it warmer, but it prevented me from breathing, - or more correct - it took away the pleasure of it, should I say. (I decided in the future to reduce the time I wear the same socks to no more than three weeks...) Then I let the engine on idle, and put my nose into the exhaust pipe. It got stuck there, and the engine stopped because the exhaust system was blocked. I also remembered that if you die from this, your face will look like a cherry, so I gave it up. Fourth try worked. I put my nose close to the sleepingbag, so the heat of the exhaust (of the nostrils) coul=7Fd be recycled. Now the air was no= t so fresh, but after a while my nose got nice and warm, and it stayed that way all night. =

This piece of advice is to be used for free by anyone suffering from cold noses in watercooled VWvanagons. -- =

Have fun!

Knud Haugmark Graphic designer and artist - Visit Knuds cyberARTmuseum. 70 paintings, nice downloads http://home2.inet.tele.dk/dunkdesk/