Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jun 1997 07:22:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Steven Johnson <sjohnson@calweb.com>
Subject:      Re: Hi Speed Vanagoning

At 12:20 AM 6/8/97 -0500, Unca Joel wrote: >bad (not being able to see anything!!). i do NOT recommend it. just a point >of interest, about the amount of air those things are pushing out of the way.

Gotta agree with Joel on this one. I think you're just asking for it if you basically kissin' a truck ass. Kinda like following a brick wall...

> >>I got around him once (flat out, 83 mph) but he muscled back in again. >>Why a low profile car bothers with drafting is beyond me. I wouldn't.

Linda and I had some idiot that was following a truck that was passing us and moved over and he couldn't seem to wait to pull in front of us to get behind it again. Linda was driving at the time and let him in but he really cut us off. I would not have been so generous as Linda. Probably better that she was driving...

>i have a theory about this: i call them "followers". they can't seem to run >down the road on their own. they MUST have someone or something to follow. >they run up behind you and just sit there, following along. now, if they >caught up to me, that's because they were going faster than me, right? so >why don't they pass me and go on as they were before?? cause they are just >looking for someone/something to follow along behind ... so they don't have >to look waaaaay out in front: they can just keep looking at your bumper or >taillights at night. go figure. it kinda pisses me off, so i slow down. but >some of them can't take the hint. i've dropped 10 mph and some of them don't >even notice at all. so what were they in such a hurry to catch up to me for??

I have these idiots once in a while, but more often, I have their distant cousins. The ones that are putzing along and I gain on them and the minute they realize that they're being over-taken by a VW, they speed up!?! Now why the hell do they gotta do that? They were going their original speed for a long time for me to catch up in the first place and then "all-of- a-sudden" they can't stand it that they were being passed by a VW. Sheesh! And then after they speed up and are ahead of you for a while, they gradually slow down to their original speed until they realize that a VW is passing them again. What kind of anal retentives do this kind of driving?!

Steven

sjohnson@calweb.com