Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 02 Jun 1997 06:57:18 -0500
From:         "R. A. \"Pete\" SELLERS" <sellersp@midmonet.net>
Subject:      EV Malfunction Woes!!!

WEll my turn to put up anothr notice for the EV crowd.

Our EV is 'down for now.

Don't know how long it has been happening but we kept hearing a noise like metal-to-metal grinding while in travel from Saint Louis back to Fort Leonard Wood.

Not being the mechanic, I had no idea but knew it was not good so rather than bring it home, we picked up the other car and immediately took both to the local guy. A local shop with a reputation for 'messing' arond VWs.

B A D news. The compressor bearings had given out and the unit had seized. The ONLY belt has broken!!! B I G BUCKS!!!

More B A D news. ASfter a week of searching the local guy tells me he can't find anyone with the parts ID nor the parts needed. I asked have you considered checking with a dealer. Response, "good idea, we didn't think of that!"

Continuing B A D news. all the parts are 'dearler-only' items. Repair parts will cost inthe range of $850 AND they are NOT in stock in Saint Louis, which is about 150 miles away!! I've ordered the parts and have ben told the wait will be about a week, normally or I can PAY extra charges to get second-day or overnight express. The parts will arrive at the dealrship and then there will be an extra charge to ship them to me or I can go to Saint Louis to pick up the parts.

By-the-way ... did I mention that this local guy has move much lower on my scale or reliability?

Now I faced with decisions.

1) Go to Saint Louis, pick up the parts, return here and take my chances that the local guy can get the parts installed correctly THEN drive the car to Saint Louis to have the coolant recharged by the dealer (the R-134 system needs specialized attention).

OR

2) Have tne EV hauled (it's not driveable without the belt) to Saint Louis, allow the dealer to rack us for the cost of parts ($850) PLUS labor (approx. $400).

With the "Great Lakes" trip so close, I think we're just gonna' have to start with about $1500 less and allow the dealer to have a better 'summer vacation'.

EVers, check your AC system, carefully. We've been paying big bucks for the recommended servicing, thinking that things like this would have been prevented or discovered before it got to this point.

:-(

Regards, --

Pete SELLERS - sellersp@midmonet.net FLW, MO - Voice: (573) 774-1895 / FAX: 336-5128 '74 THING (Pete's "PLAY" THING) '93 Eurovan, MV, Weekender (The Conestoga)