Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 08 Jun 1997 11:28:51 +0000
From:         Victor Wong <vwong1@ix.netcom.com>
Subject:      '89 Syncro loses power in rain

Corrina:

I had a similar problem with my '88 GL. When wet, it would stutter a couple times and then die completely, but would start right back up. This would repeat itself until the engine warmed up, at which point it would run fine, even in pouring rain.

I brought the car to the dealer twice and another mechanic once. The second time, the dealer kept it for three weeks where it became known as the "carwash car" because they had to keep bringing it to the carwash across the street to reproduce the product. They replaced the distributor and air flow meter (at dealer prices - $$$!!!). For some reason the problem went away for a few weeks, but then returned!

By this time I was shopping for a new van. Fortunately, I had recently subscribed to this newslist, and with Uncle Joe's prodding, I began to look around the engine compartment. Basically, I sprayed water on one part of the ignition at a time and then started the vehicle (which is what the #*@&% dealer should have done). Turns out that a previous mechanic had spliced a replacement O2 sensor to the part of the wiring harness that runs next to the exhaust pipe to the catalytic converter. The local heat had melted some of the insulation and exposed the wiring and voila! Whenever the van got wet the 02 sensor would short out the ECU. Once the exhaust got hot enough the wiring would stay dry enough to function.

So I don't know what your problem is . . .but neither does your dealer!

Victor Wong '88GL