Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jun 1997 11:26:31 -0600
From:         ronclay@ldd.net (Ron Clayton)
Subject:      so that's what it was!

Hello Vanagoners!?:

I am new to the list so excuse me if I miss some net protocol or other.

I've been following the conversation about the o2 sensor with some interest.................................I did not know about the reset button=8A pity!

Here is my story: In 1984 I ordered from the factory a brand new marine blue Wolfsberg edition weekender with the curtain and screen package, wide whale corduroy seats, gray stripe =8Ashe was a beauty!

18K miles on sabbatical trip to DC. And the heads fail. I was fortunate enough to be near Christiansberg VA. Where a really good dealership mechanic did the rebuild, I rented a car and went back to DC. For a week. VW of America picked up the tab and I had no more serious trouble until around 90k when, you guessed it, the -light- comes on. At this point I'm living 200 miles away from the nearest dealership and a shade tree mechanic in Jonesboro AR sez to me: SheEOOT! =8ADon't mean nothin' but instead of punching that reset button he disconnected the o2 sensor! =8AEngine begins running rich, no one can set the idle properly, cat.converter eventually burns out. I still got 120k miles out of her but she never was quite right, often had gas in the oil and other associated problems. Ironically it was not the engine but the automatic transmission that finally did her in, another botched repair, this time of a simple O-ring seal leak! In 1992 traded her in on a new '91 burgundy and gray GL with all the extras. The Dealer told me he sent old blue off to California where "they're a lot more popular and someone will appreciate her enough to do the needed work". Aside from a slight ding in the sliding door just ahead of the rear wheel well she was pristine inside and out.

Postscript: my '91 does not have the illconceived dash light and she is nearing her 90k milestone, I really love her too so how do I know when the o2 sensor actually does need attending to?

'91 GL Living in Cape Girardeau, MO Artist/College Professor.