Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 09 Jun 1997 09:13:05 -0700
From:         Ed or Cheryl Beggs <ebeggs@silk.net>
Subject:      Towing and easy hitches / 88 Weekender FS

The type of hitch that attaches to the tow hooks is made by Rigid Hitch in Bloomington MN. I got mine from REcycled Bugs in Pontiac Mich. 810 373 2300

It's so easy (TWO bolts) and makes sense - the tow hooks were made to haul the VANAGON, right? So there's lots of strength there. The hitch is Class 1 (1000 lbs. / 100lbs.), but I used my 88 Weekender to haul a 13' Boler travel trailer (not a tent trailer!) 3000 miles with the family, all our gear, automatic and air conditioner going. No problem. A little slow on the big mountain grades in Wyoming / Montana, but we made it. That was two years ago and my tranny is still fine. The Boler weighs about 1350 lbs. BTW.

I hooked on to my new trailer, a 1500 lb Trillium the other day, but it is just too much, now that I live in the mountains. I hooked it onto my 81 Volvo which handles it okay ( a little more HP and 4 wheel discs).

After seesawing back and forth a million times, the Weekender is thus for sale. My kids are too big now, and we need the trailer.

Here's the latest price: $5000 US - I mean it...that's a good price, no? Auto, AC, PS, Rear screen, 111,000 miles- no headleaks (gaskets done a few years ago).

Ed