Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 09 Jun 1997 22:35:55 GMT
From:         bsnyder@enter.net (Brad Snyder)
Subject:      A tale of NO oil pressure (longish)

Hi everyone, I don't get to post to the list too much but I wanted to tell this story because it might benefit some other people.

I have a 1987 Vanagon GL with over 130,000 miles on it. It still runs good and doesn't use much oil at all. But anyway, we were going to take it on a trip from Allentown PA to Lima OH, so I wanted to change the oil before I put so many more miles on it. So I changed the oil. Drained out the 20-50 and put new 20-50 in it, same brand. Took off the old FRAMM filter and put a new FRAMM filter on. Start it up, all's working OK. Off we go!

Driving up the turnpike about 40 miles into the trip the dreaded buzzer of death and oil light came on. Pulled over and checked the oil, looks good. Engine is sounding good yet, no loud noises. Start it back up and drive off. Must have been a fluke. Got a few more miles and the buzzer went off again.

OK, I've been reading on the list the talk about all the trouble that the Framm filter will cause you. Limp into an auto parts store to get a different brand filter and new oil. The engine is now getting pretty loud and sounds more like an air cooled engine. Change oil and filter again. Start it up and pressure light goes right out and the engine gets quiet again. Drive off again. Oh yes, the only filters the store had were Framm!

About 30 more miles and the buzzer goes off again. Now it's starting to get old! Darn Framm filters!! Got to another store and bought a different brand of filter and more oil. Changed both again and oil light will go out, but engine is still pretty loud. Tried to drive away but buzzer comes on about 2500 RPM. Pull over. What is wrong with this stupid thing.

This time I pulled the oil pressure relief valve out of the engine. Looks fine, not sticking. Brainstorm - start the engine briefly and see how much oil flow I get with the relief valve removed. Got almost none. OK, remove filter and try the same thing. Almost no oil flow. OK, time to give up. Called AAA and found out how useless they are. Called a local VW dealer but it's now after 5:00pm so I found out how useless they were too.

When all else fails call dad to bail me out. He brought his trailer and another car - (American made and had no trouble with the rest of the trip) The van just barely fit into the trailer but he had no problems towing it home.

For pictures of the towing experience browse to: http://www.enter.net/~bsnyder/lima.html

After I got home, I tried one of those 5 minute engine flush treatments on the recommendation of my boss. Guess what, it took 10 minutes but it did work! I put new oil and a framm filter back on and we've put quite a few mile on with no problems at all. Luckily the engine is quiet again and actually the lifters are quieter than they were before all this happened.

So I guess that the oil pump pickup screen must have been blocked with some crude?? Anyway, I wanted to tell this story in case someone else might benefit by flushing out their engine if they are having problems with oil pressure.

Later.. . . . . .. . . Brad bsnyder@enter.net http://www.enter.net/~bsnyder