Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 09 Jun 1997 20:49:30 -0400
From:         Bill Collins <wb6otg@intrex.net>
Subject:      High altitude starting problem

My wife just called from Rocky Mountain National Park. (altitude around 8,000 feet or higher) It seems that when she went to start the van ('84) in the morning it died while backing out of the campsite. She tried to re-start it off and on for about 20 minutes and it finally started when she gave it a lot more gas than normal. The van has been working fine since.

It sounds like it was flooded. Is this possible with fuel injection?

I suppose if the new air flow meter was set a bit rich it could cause problems when cold. After its warmed up, the oxygen sensor should take over and hold the mixture at the correct point.

When I join her in a few days, should I:

1) tweak the mixture adjust blindly in the lean direction 2) Leave it alone and try not to kill it when its cold 3) something else that I haven't thought of yet

I'm guessing number 3 is right. Any ideas?

Bill '84 Westy