Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 02 Jun 1997 09:35 -0600 (MDT)
From:         BLAINE_BACHMAN%PL-01M3@ccmail.plk.af.mil
Subject:      Oil Light Update - To Mordor and Back

I think I've finally reached the last chapter in this saga. The problem is fixed.

On the way home Friday, I picked up the deep 24mm socket from Sears. Saturday morning I'm determined to do the job. Pulled all three V-belts and got them out of the way. Disconnected the wire from the sensor. The deep socket won't get down in the space. Removed the 8mm thread nut on the lower shield where it connects to the transverse mount in an attempt to gain some working space; still no help.

Drop back to the shallow socket; it still fits (duh). Put the 3/8" to 1/2" adaptor on the 3/8" drive ratchet; Grab a hold of "killer" (the big, long Craftsman screwdriver that can double as a pry bar) and use it to push the socket as far out on the sender as possible but still allow the socket to catch the sender. Stick the ratchet/adaptor on the drive end (again, just part way on, because the terminal is sticking into the drive hole; turn.

Surprisingly, the b*st*rd doesn't fight. In fact, after a quarter turn with the ratchet, I take all the tools out, and turn the sender out with my index and "social" fingers.

Well, the insert came out with the sender, but that's a quick fix. A couple of fumbles getting the whole thing rethreaded and tight, but given the relative inaccessability of the spot, it went quite well. Wire on and belts tight this time. Drive the car around town a lot; it's a hot one (in the nineties), but no whining from the oil system.

BTW the old sender was "white", the new one is "grey". Part 068 919 081A

Remembered to replace the nut on the lower shield later that day!

-Blaine