Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Jun 1997 02:35:33 -0700
From:         mholser@Adobe.COM (Malcolm Holser)
Subject:      Failed Syncro V/C

Today I looked over a Syncro Doublecab. Turned out to have a failed front-drive system. Basically, I took it for a test drive, and did the listen/feel for scrubbing in tight turns. None. So I drove back, and jacked up a fron wheel -- it spins freely. I jack up a rear wheel, and it spins as well, but the drivshft spins as well.

Of course the seller thought I was trying to scam him -- he assured me that all was as it should be (like he told me all the wheel bearings were new, and I showed him the bad rear one!).

I did not really expect a V/C to fail like this -- where it provides NO resistance at all. Is this the typical failure? It felt like the ring and pinion had been removed, there was so little resistance. What does it cost (shudder) to replace the V/C, and should I expect the rest of the differential to be Ok?

So we have not settled this yet. Both I and my wife like the truck, but it is missing some bits and is premium price. Maybe we'll work out something. I *really* want a doublecab syncro!

A couple of questions: What should the engine lid look like? This one has a piece of diamond-plate aluminum over the hatch. This one has a chrome front bumper. Did any come this way? (It is an '86, btw). It appears like there were wood strips installed in the bed at one time -- there are rivets in the bed area. Did these ever come with wood slats? Lastly, the holes are drilled out where the tarp-frame bolts in, but there is no tarp or frame. Are these still available in Canada or Europe (since they did not sell them here, it is pointless to ask the dealers). If so, what does VW want for these? Several photos I've seen of TriStars have a cool roll-cage/rack/brushguard arrangement. Are these VW fare, and are these still available? How about the stock brush-guards?

Of course, while we were looking at this, we also found a beautiful '86 Syncro Westy for sale, and we cannot afford both right now -- decisions, decisions! I'll have to get rid of the '80 Westy and the Kombi Syncro (although it might be cheaper to use its front diff!).

Somebody mentioned that the later Syncros had forged front suspension, intstead of welded stamped-steel. Is this the lower A-arm we're speaking of? Did they really make forged lower arms, and is this terribly desireable?

Thanks,

malcolm