Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Jun 1997 10:40 -0600 (MDT)
From:         BLAINE_BACHMAN%PL-01M3@ccmail.plk.af.mil
Subject:      Re: Faucet Fun, etc. . .

First- copious thanks to all who made suggestions and shared their own experience (my sink runneth over - see below).

Second- I fixed the faucet pump problem (at least temporarily). Turns out the impeller had come disconnected from the shaft (I could tell it was flopping around in the housing).

Reasoning that I could do it little further harm, I got a hold of the bottom of the housing with a pair of channel lock pliers, and popped it off. The hole in the impeller (where it fits on the shaft) looked melted - did it jam? Was it run dry, heated up, and the plastic and metal separated?

Well, I cleaned up the enlarged hole, with a drill bit held by hand, all the while trying to keep it centered. I inserted a piece of Evergreen brand styrene tube (I "play" with trains and usually have a lot of goodies around), glued it in place with Testor's liquid cement, cut off the excess, and reinstalled it on the shaft.

Once I got the impeller positioned on the shaft at the correct depth, I placed the housing back on the pump and flowed more Testor's cement around the joint. Let it set up for a few minutes, tested and reinstalled the pump. Water almost immediately.

Third - On to the Fridge! Two questions before I start:

1. Does the "don't level - do damage" relationship apply to all three modes, or just to gas?

2. Are the clip on temp sensors mentioned in Derek Drew's "Refrigerator Madness" posting from 1994 still available from Radio Shack? Anyone have a part number?

Again, forgive me for the more obvious questions - the PO didn't have the Vanagon or the Westfalia manuals - I hope they show up at the dealer's soon! (Probably just after I figure everything out on my own.

-Blaine