Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         10 Jun 97 10:56:07 PDT
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Air Deflector

Everything you wanted to know about Air Deflectors. Well, at least everything that I know about them. The following applies to the '80 and '81 Vanagons. Applicability to later Vanagons is unknown. Perhaps some OTHER demented soul would continue the quest for the questionable value knowledge contained.

The Air Deflector re-directs the air exiting from the hot air duct to the feet of the driver and passenger. It is attached to the plastic air duct with a pair of tabs that fit into slots near the top outer edges.

To remove an Air Deflector, gently pull the outer top portion to the outside of the bus, and then gently towards the rear. This can be done on both sides at the same time, or independently. The tab has a slight "L" on the end to catch into the slot. Pulling on the Deflector without un-catching the tab results in breaking off the tab. BTDT, thus this post. Mine were wired in place for years.

Tom Young procurred an AD from a '81 for me to install (thanks) & I proceeded to attempt to install it. Wouldn't fit. The tab design had changed, adding ribs to stiffen and strengthen the tab. I have another '80 Westi in my yard, and with thoughts of fixing it up vanishing, I pulled the Air Deflector from it. Flat tabs, but it had 3 openings instead of 2. Whatsgoingonhere I asked myself.

The openings refer to the number of slots for the air to exit on each side of the Air Deflector.

All three had the same part number- 251 259 135A All three had different production dates, and all three were slightly different. Here is my speculation and info for all of the future restorers of early Vanagons. Dates were found on the Air Deflector.

9/79 has flat tabs and 2 openings 12/79 has flat tabs and 3 openings 11/80 has ribbed tabs and 2 openings

It looks like VW started with 2 openings, and later decided to go to 3 and then back to 2 openings. The AD with 3 openings had one of the openings stuffed with a piece of foam.

I think that the ribbed tabs were added for the 1981 model, when they changed the venting stuff to add a fan into the housing ('80 had no fan). I guess that the 3 openings placed the air in the wrong location. One of these cold days, I'll check out the hot air coming from the opening and try & figure it out.

- Jeff '80 Westi & '80 Westi slowly losing parts, but available for sale Anybodyneed an Air Deflector for a '81?