Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Jun 1997 20:16:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:         SSGSPEAR@aol.com
Subject:      Re: new syncro stuff

If the Type II T4 Syncro was available in the US, I would buy it......providing I could afford it. That, to me, is the biggest stumbling block to VW, or other German car makers, success in the US. This probably cannot be helped. Neither VW, nor any other manufacturer, can control monetary exchange rates.

Another would be power, or rather, lack of power. In a country that is used to having 130+ hp in vans, mini-vans and sport utes, 90hp is rather wimpy.

Another would be advertising. No one will buy a product that they don't know exists. Very few people know that VW ever produced an all-wheel drive van. About the only ones I talk to that do know are the ones with a Syncro or are into VW vans.

Well, these are my opinions.

SSG Brad Spear '72 Westfalia '87 Vanagon GL Syncro

<< Dear syncro listees,

today I ask you a personal question because you were kind enough to answer the request for syncro driver's email adresses on the V@L list:

What (the heck) did I do wrong ???

The news about the 'Gute Fahrt' >>New VW off-roader<< opinion-poll is really

exciting from my point of view and I absolutely cannot understand why there is almost no comment on or from the list about it. The questions I ask myself are:

- Nobody interested in stuff from far away europe ?? => In the last two month since subscribing I felt the opposite was true.

- Nobody interested in having a new off-road VW Bus ? => Cannot imagine !

- Should discussions about 'speeding behind some eightteenwheelers' be more interesting than the question if there will be a new syncro 16'' in a few years ? => No comment !

- Was the FRIDAY involved discussion about the 'New Splittie' too confusing for the readers ??? => Well, maybe there is a problem to distinguish misunderstood fun-stuff and

authentic news.

I wasn't really prepared to have the day come so early when all syncro Vanagon people in the world should work together. But if nothing will happen now, the argument of VW marketing dept. for the next five years will be "We had a poll in 1997 and nobody asked for a new off-road syncro Bus !! Sorry, no demand no production !"

Please help me understand all that - and please do it in a way a short-sighted four-year old german child will get it. I really consider unsubscribing from

V@L and quitting overseas activities because it bores me reading hundrets of

messages and REs about things like "Where best plug in my portable Hoover in a Vanagon ?" and having almost no reaction on the basic question "Do you want a new syncro Bus ??" (Not even a "F... -off".)

Tell me freely what you think, any comment is appreciated !

Thanks and best regards

Tom N. >>