Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Jun 1997 21:05:45 -0500 (EST)
From:         EAGAN@loyola.edu
Subject:      2.1 broke head stud...

here's a new one for all of you... my 2.1 had a sudden cooling system failure at 70+ mph a few weeks ago, I'm just finding time now to post, sorry.... ok, crusing and then i notice smoke, well steamy smoke... i figure oh my number is up, lets pull over.. pull over and check it out, i lost alot of coolant and 3/4 cylinder head steaming and sizzleing, but it was not initially clear where the oily coolant was excaping, but i figured head gasket, no big deal...i'll pull it out and fix it tomorrow, so i have it towed home, btw a nice crankcase full of chocolate milk shake...

any way i'm trying to keep this short, i pull the motor, take it up to the shop and start taking it apart.. well i quickly found what had happened, a lower head stud had completely let go... not from the case, but broke in half...thus breaking the seal and forcing coolant into the valve cover and pumping it into the crankcase via the oushrod tubes on that side...

so, there's a new one i think, it's the first one i've seen and i am lucky enough to do atleast one or two wasserboxer head jobs a month, so i'm keeping in practice...

seems as though from the break, the stud may have been cracked for sometime...the break was only partially clean, it had a nice half rust stained cross section, maybe i'll take a photo and postit up on my empty web site,

later patrick 86 crewcab