Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:16 -0600 (MDT)
From:         BLAINE_BACHMAN%PL-01M3@ccmail.plk.af.mil
Subject:      Dometic Doings

Thanks to all who have helped so far, especially Kelly Bauman of Delta BC who deftly pointed out that we extremely late-model volksfolks ('90-'91) have a fridge with slightly different controls than the rest of you (and remided me that the operating instructions were on the door).

On the way home last evening, I stopped by Radio Shack and picked up an RV/Auto thermometer (RS# 63-1019 - $15.99), and the "cigarette pack size" 12V muffin fan (RS# 273-243 - $14.99). Unfortunately, while I was there, I noticed a $29.95 thru-the-glass scanner antenna that I'm just gonna have to go back and buy (for chasing trains, you know).

So, I remember from the "odyssey", the 12V mode on the fridge sorta worked. Let's try the gas. Outside valve on; thermostat off; inside valve on; indicator panel switch on; pump 10 times; push gas button; hmmm, no flashing light. Hold pilot light pushbutton anyway. Nothing.

Try again. Find a straw and blow in the drain hole; try again. Oh well, I like to take things apart anyway. Start the Bentley sequence for removal and find that the 3-prong 12V electrical connection is off (and I didn't do it). Reconnect and try again; this time the red light flashes. Goes out when it should, and the green LED on the indicator panel starts to brighten up. Crank the thermostat up (down?). Can't hear anything and can't see anything in the "sight glass", but out by the vent I can hear the burning sound.

Hook up the Auto thermometer. Since the unit has an "inside" and an "outside" sensor and switches between the two, I decide to put the entire thing in the fridge and clip the "outside" sensor on the fins. BTW, The "inside" sensor is built into the display unit.

Half-hour later, and the temp hasn't dropped much. Decide to hang the unit out the door (so I don't have to keep opening it up) and just monitor the fins. Another hour and we're only down in the forties (at the fins, mind you - where's 17 degrees? (hope it wasn't Celsius!)). Never hear anything that sounds like a fan fire up, so I'll probably have to remove the thing anyway at some point, check the fan, add the second one, and clean the sight glass (must be soot-caked on the inside).

Question: Is it enough to add the "matchbook" fan to the inside, or would the bigger one be better (the American Way!)?

Discovery: The little toggle switch on the indicator console only controls power to the console lights and sensing equipment.

Decision: While it would be "high tech" to have two thermometers, once I get this working, I'll just worry about monitoring the general air temp in the fridge.

-Blaine