Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Jun 1997 21:46:41 -0500
From:         Bruce.B.Wood@hanover.valley.net (Bruce Wood)
Subject:      '84 problem

Volks:

I am the DCO (Dreaded Current Owner) of a gorgeous 1984 Westy with 71,000 original miles on it. We've had two recent problems. First came the slow oil leak. Then came the red overheating light.

Being basically a clueless DCO (see above) I brought our bus to the friendly independent garage that has worked on it in the past and pleaded for mercy.

(While I was at it, I brought along a condensed version of information about coolants and phosphate gleaned from this list and the archives. The coolant hadn't been checked since coming out of winter storage and I figured as long as the bus was in the shop it was high time we did something about it.)

Well, I picked the bus up today and found myself $110 poorer. I wasn't complaining though, because they said everything was fixed. They had replaced a radiator hose and a $10 oil "sender." The leak was gone and it shouldn't overheat they said.

Tell it to my wife, who saw the red light come on a half hour after leaving the shop and then sat for 45 minutes before nursing the bus the last two miles home.

I guess I should have been a little suspicious when the mechanic said he didn't "top off" the coolant because "there aren't no such thing" as a coolant without phosphates. "That's what makes them work," he said, looking at me as if I was more of an auto idiot than I am. Of course, "Topping off" wasn't why I had brought him the printout about coolant problems.

Oh, and for good measure, as we walked out the door he told us we have a coolant leak. Gee thanks.

I think it's time to visit the semi-local VW bus guru if I can find a way to drive the 40 miles without breaking down completely.

Any suggestions?

Bruce --Who is afraid to take the "Should You Own A Vanagon" test because he's pretty sure what the answer would be and he's not ready to turn over the keys.