Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jun 1997 12:52:24 +0000 (ADT4AST)
From:         George Nahrebecky <George.Nahrebecky@stmarys.ca>
Subject:      Dometic discoveries

Here is my first-time pilot-lighter (or should that be lighter-pilot?) contribution to the Dometic saga: I started trying to light mine about two weeks ago, and went through all the tips (lighttheburners, opentheventonthebottom, preheatusingACorDC, pump500times etc.) I set aside 10 minutes a day as "Dometic time". During this period, people who happened to walk by the open sliding door would see my ass up in the air, and my head buried in the fridge as far as it could go while still allowing my arms to hold the button in and work the clicker. I was waiting for the wondrous "pilot light throught the sight-window hole apparition-miracle" to occur. Never bothered to check the indicator light. What was there to indicate if there was no flame, right? Wrong. After my 15th and last attempt, disheartened, I went back into the house without shutting off the gas or switches or any of the things I was supposed to do. When I came out to do so twenty minutes later, the fridge was making these incredibly wonderful "I'M ALIVE" noises, and the indicator light was indeed indicating the presence of the phantom flame, which was still not visible in the "sight" window hole. Later that night, I figured out that the "sight" window is almost blind. You can see a faint glow in there at about midnight if you park away from the street lights. The moral of the story, for neophite lighter-pilot is: If you have just bought a Westfalia and are unsure of the condition of the fridge, watch your LED and not your hole. (Sorry folks, I couldn't resist). On a more serious note, can anyone tell me (ball-park) what sort of mileage I can expect to get from a tank of propane, perhaps in terms of fridge-hours with a few meals thrown in for good measure? Thanks in advance.....

George

Halifax, Nova Scotia