Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:06:04 -0400
From:         "The Bus Depot" <list@busdepot.com>
Subject:      VW PARTS AND PRICE FIXING!!

It has come to my attention that a certain competing retailer of Bus/Vanagon parts has been quietly complaining to one or several parts suppliers about some of the prices that I have offered to this List. Apparantly they are not happy about having to compete with those prices, and would like to fix it so they don't have to. Actually, this is the second time (that I know of) in the last few months that they have made subtle moves toward price-fixing. It's time to put a stop to it.

In my previous line of work (the hifi industry), I've seen similar illegal attempts to "encourage" various retailers to maintain certain price levels. Frankly I had wondered if I'd run up against it in the Volkswagen business. I guess there will be a few greedy people anywhere where there's money to be made, even in Volkswagens. So while I'm a bit disappointed, I'm not completely surprised, and I know what to do.

The company in question is a subscriber to (or at least a regular reader of) this List. They checked out my website before it was mentioned anywhere but on this list, and have regularly been aware of listmember-only pricing that I offer only on this list. So I am posting the following in the expectation that it will reach the same eyes. ____________________________________

It is a violation of federal law for retailers and/or wholesalers to collude to set pricing, either overtly, or even by mere suggestion or implication. Furthermore it is illegal for a wholesaler or manufacturer to in any way limit or control distribution for the purpose of enforcing "suggested retail" prices. The Justice Department and the courts are very vigorous about enforcing this. A mere telephone discussion can, and has, resulted in very severe punative fines and judgements. If you doubt me on this, consult your attorney.

If the party involved is smart, they will walk away from this and play by the rules, which are in the best interests of the consumer. I'm a big believer in the free market system. I will immediately, and with great pleasure, file suit for damages against any entity, anywhere in the country, who tries on any level to exert influence on the pricing or availability of Volkswagen parts to this list or on my website, and will also report their attempts to both the Federal Trade Commission and the appropriate state authorities. I know who you are. Consider this fair warning. Any further attempts, no matter how subtle, will result in swift legal action against all parties involved. Just try me. ____________________________________

Whether my prices are low or high isn't the point. Sometimes I can negotiate a great deal on a particular part, other times a competitor finds a better deal. The same competitor that's whining about my prices on some parts, is probably beating my prices on others. Which is the way it should be. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and in the end, the most consistant winner is, hopefully, the savvy consumer. That's the nature of a free market. When a merchant tries to circumvent that system for his own gain, the real loser is the consumer.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Now back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress ... :)

-Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com