Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Jun 1997 01:11:17 -0400
From:         David Katsuki <katsuki@bbn.com>
Subject:      Re: Fridge ?

The fan is exactly as you guess - blows across the condenser and is thermostat-controlled.

Don't know what year Westy you have, but in mine ('90), the fan is independent of any switch, and runs whenever the thermostat says to. I believe the fan only makes things more efficient (is needed when the inside of the van gets above 80F or so), so the main effect of not having it running is probably that the stuff in the fridge may get warm.

Dave

At 11:12 PM 6/14/97 -0500, Frayed1003@aol.com wrote: >I started using my fridge for the first time this weekend and became somewhat >confused. I plugged it in the night before we left, it was very cold. > Switched to 12V for trip worked great again I then switched to propane when >I arrived, no problems. My question is about the switch located behind my >drivers seat. After listening to my radio I pulled the switch up to check >how much battery power was left, it was at this point that I heard what >sounded like a fan, behind the fridge start. Is this fan important, if that >is what I am hearing? I was with two other Westy owners one had an 82 diesel >and the other had an 84 they told me that their fridges don't make any noise. > My fan or noise goes on for a little then it shuts off as if it is >controlled by a thermostat. Will it hurt to run it without the switch, to >the LED lights, in the on position. I thought that maybe the fan is blowing >across the condenser, if these things have one, and that maybe the fan makes >the fridge more efficient but that it isn't necessary. Any explanations >would be greatly appreciated. I would really hate to hurt my fridge. Thanks >in advance. > > > > > >