Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:51:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Norman Leong <nleong@jps.net>
Subject:      Re: EV Malfunction Woes!!!

Pete ponders the following:

>Now I faced with decisions. > >1) >Go to Saint Louis, pick up the parts, return here and take my chances >that the local guy can get the parts installed correctly THEN drive the >car to Saint Louis to have the coolant recharged by the dealer (the >R-134 system needs specialized attention). > >OR > >2) >Have tne EV hauled (it's not driveable without the belt) to Saint Louis, >allow the dealer to rack us for the cost of parts ($850) PLUS labor >(approx. $400).

I'd say if you were entertaining the thought of your local mechanic wrench on your EV, perhaps you might want to call around to some discount VW dealers, like Timmons VW in Long Beach, CA. Although I've done business with them, I'm only using them as an example of a dealer that supposedly offers genuine VW parts at a discount. Anyway, if you want to see if they have your parts, their # is (800) 266-3247. Tell them you saw their ad in "Your-a-peein' Car" mag and they're supposed to give even more of a discount.

If you're thinking about having the St Louis dealer work on it, well, maybe you know the EV mechanic over there; I'd bribe him to drive three hours roundtrip with his tools (he'll have his own if he's good, right?) to come work on your van. What the heck, a six-pack, a square meal, and the going shop rate for his hours should do the trick right?... ;)

Good luck, Pete, you're in an unenviable position, but at least once it's fixed you have no worries for a while.

Norman